We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling in May

Wisconsin
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
traveling in May

We are thinking of bringing the kids in May next year, they will be 8 & 9 then. I was plannig either river rafting or tubing, horseback riding and Dollywood. Anything special we are missing in our list? Also, is there tons of rain end of May (around Memorial Day)? Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling in May

>> Anything special we are missing in our list? <<

That depends on how much time you have and what you're interested in. I always recommend exploring the national park, visiting sites like Grotto Falls, Albright Grove, Mt. LeConte, and Chimney Tops.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling in May

I really think Rain Forest Adventures should be on your "to do" list, but make sure you see the show! The show is what makes it so good. Your boys can touch several animals...a hedgehog, a tarantula, a cockatoo, a ferret, maybe an African porcupine as a part of the show. At the end of the show they can put a boa around their necks for photos. The show is funny and educational. Afterwards you can visit to "zoo" part. I think is was less than $10 per person with coupons...maybe $11.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling in May

I would urge you to do a little research online and pick a trail for a nice hike. May is a great time to be in the mountains. Take along a small backpack with water and a few snacks or better yet pick a spot for a sandwich picnic. Here are a couple sites to help find a trail:

http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/hiking.html

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/location.htm

If you prefer to ride make the drive through Cades Cove. Your sure to see lots of animals especially if you go in the morning or evening. There's a great parking/picnic area just outside the entrance for a wonderful picnic along a creek.

Ride the trolleys in either/both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and you'll enjoy not having to worry about driving and it'll let you see more.

I love to bring shelled corn to the creek in Pigeon Forge and feed the ducks.

Chris

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling in May

I should also have said, always take the kids into the park and on a hike! Even if it is a short one, they'll remember it! Our grandchildren even liked the "paved hike" from the parking lot to the tower at Clingman's Dome.

5. Re: traveling in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge