We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Days 5 & 6

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Days 5 & 6

Day 5 August 5, Wednesday

Today was our full day in Dollywood. We parked at Patriot Park and rode the trolley. The park wasn’t crowded…they were giving Thunderstorms for the am and scattered thunderstorms for the pm and it didn’t even sprinkle! We rode all the big rides with our 8 and 12 year old grandsons several times, but the youngest is too small for them so had to spend some time doing things he could do too. We saw She-kon-e-hey and Country Crossroads. We ate at Aunt Granny’s. They were having a special where kids eat free. We stayed til the park closed. We came home and everyone pretty well crashed after spending a little time in the hot tub.

Day 6, August 6, Thursday

Today was a hiking day. Paul & I got up early and headed for Clingman’s Dome for a hike on the AT. It was 54 degrees but the wind was really whipping so it felt very cold. We had packed rain ponchos so I put mine on to block the wind.

The trail is 8.4 miles from CD parking lot to NewFound Gap. We had hoped to do it in 4 hours but took us an extra 35 minutes. The first 3 ½ miles were pretty sloppy, rocky, & rooty. The downhill also began to wear on my knee and I limped a bit, slowing us down.

DS & his family were waiting for us at the Gap. We climbed in their van & headed for Cherokee to “hike” up to Mingo Falls. There were lots of people there, in the water, and climbing on the falls, so a scenic photo was pretty much impossible.

Coming back we stopped & did another mile on one of the longer quiet walkways. It was steep and our son ended up falling flat but it made a good laugh.

Then we dropped the family off at Indian Gap to make the 1.7 mile hike to Newfound Gap while we took their car up to get ours at Clingmans. We came upon a woman giving a ranger a report of an “aggressive, scary bear” she had just seen in the area.

The family made another stop at Chimney Tops but only did a round trip of 4 miles, not all the way to the top. Coming back the 8 & 12 year old got out of sight & then couldn’t hear us because they were close to the stream. Our son was worried because of the bear sighting, among other things, and took off after them at a run. He caught his foot on a root and went tumbling down the trail. Everyone thought he was hurt but he just got scrapped & tore a gash in his knee…it really should have had a few stitches, but you know guys.

All in all we got in quite a few miles of hiking, which is one of our favorite things to do!

Came home & grilled chicken & veggies for supper, made cornflake cookies, and spent time in the hot tub with the boys.

More later…..

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Sounds like a great couple days! We really enjoyed the She-kon-e-hey show a lot.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

We enjoyed it too...but were sitting a little to close to the front to see the "Native American eagles" dance in the air without turning our necks. Loved the acrobatic portion of the dances though!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

I also love to hike but taking in 15+ miles in a day would have killed me. Impressive!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Hey, I liked day 6! It's nice to get up to the higher country in August to try to beat the heat, and it sounds like that worked out almost too well for you! And it's great to have two vehicles; that opens up a whole world of possibilities. Glad to hear you're out there gettin' after it! Thanks for the report.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Guess I should say we had sort of pre-conditioned for our hike. When Paul asked me if I would like to do something special for our 40th anniversary this year, I said, yeah, how about a hike across WV? So we followed the American Discovery Trail 280+ miles across our state ( not as backpacking but as day and weekend hikes) and had worked up to some pretty high mileage days. We finished in late July, which was perfect timing to do some time in the Smokies.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Thank all of you for your comments. These trip reports are time consuming, so it is nice when someone reads and makes a comment. TA people are so helpful!

Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading you TR. I love reading all of the trip reports. I take notes from them for ideas of things to do and places to eat with my own family.

Sounds like you guys are having a great time!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

More later...?

I know you're probably busy, but I was hoping to hear about the Charlie's Bunion hike... (Please)

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

Yep, plan to do a trip report the day of Charlie's Bunyon...just may not get done until next week. I am ever so slow!

10. Re: Trip report Days 5 & 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge