We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins - What to think???

Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cabins - What to think???

We are considering a family vacation in Pigeon Forge next August. I have been considering a cabin instead of a hotel because we have 4 kids and my girlfriend has 2. We are used to staying in a condo ( think Old Key West and Disney) and I am little a nervous about renting someplace we have never been before. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your help/

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins - What to think???

My favorite place is Sunset Cottages. they have really good prices, and their customer service is outstanding. Plus they have all kinds of cabins, to fit just about any price range. Hope this helps!

Karen

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
413 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins - What to think???

Renting cabins is easy once you know what to ask and what you want. Do you prefer privacy or something close to the action? Are you afraid of mountain roads (winding and at times steep)? Do you like to retire to your room and watch tv at night? Would you like to cook breakfast or dinner at "home" (gas grills are nice for this)

I like privacy so resort locations are a no-go for me. I always ask how close the nearest neighbors are before I rent. I don't mind mountain roads as long as they are paved. W#e tend to run around all day (since there are so many things to do in this area) and relax at night so a tv in each bedroom plus a hottub is key for us.

Then, be sure you are looking at the total price when making your decision. There are wide ranges of fees (cleaning, etc) on this type of lodging and many specials too so get the bottom line before making your decision.

I love Timbercreek Cabin Rentals but they aren't the least expensive places available. I just like the people and all of the cabins I have stayed in are good. We usually stay in Amazing Grace.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins - What to think???

Sunset Cottage is a good place to rent from. They have been around for years. "must be doing something right" If you are alittle sketchy on getting a cabin they have condos too. Maybe stay at a condo your 1st time and ask them to look at some cabins, so you can see before you purchase. Another option is to be a walk in and go look at the cabins available before your bound to it. Just a friendly tip. Last time I was down there, they were getting a condo on the river right in Piegon Forge call Cedar Lodge or something close to that. Good Luck with your choice.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins - What to think???

One of the advantages since you will have 6 kids is that most cabins have games that the kids will enjoy. Most resorts have a resort pool, too. We always stay with Edencrest and stay at American Bear Cabin. The resort we stay at also has miniature golf which would also be great for the kids.

Before we started staying here I always that of cabins being old and musty, but where we stay is always super clean and though we don't have kids with us, the big kids enjoy the games and pool, etc. Plus we enjoy just sitting out on the back porch and relaxing at the end of the day.

Have a great family vacation!

Lansing, Illinois
Level Contributor
151 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabins - What to think???

I'll assume the kids will be looking for activities. If they want to swim, you could rent a cabin in a resort with a pool. I'd recommend Starr Crest near Dollywood. There are also large cabins with indoor pools, but they get really pricy if you need multiple bedrooms. For me, I like to have more privacy and yet be close to everything. My favorite area is the Upper Middle Creek/Walker Trail/Panther Way area near Dollywood. Timber Tops seems to have the most cabins in this area, though there are several other companies as well. If you rent through them (yourcabin.com), you have access to an outdoor pool in Timber Tops park, which is also in the same area. Another idea is to look for a cabin with a full gameroom. Don't get fooled when you see a pool table in a photo. Some of them are stuck in small bedrooms or living rooms and are hardly playable. Look for an actual gameroom.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabins - What to think???

Most people think of "rental-cabins" (in the mountains) as being old, musty and run down. But not those (or at least most) in the Smoky Mountain area. Most are actual vacation homes owned by someone other than the rental company. (2ND & 3RD homes for most) We have stayed with Sunset Cottage and Fireside Chalets. Have been pleased with both companies and with all the cabins/chalets we have rented. www.firesidechalets.com or www.sunsetcottage.com

Renting a cabin you will be out the nightly rental rate, taxes, most companies charge a cleaning fee (based upon how big the cabin is) and some charge a processing fee (varies between companies) Most companies require a 2 or 3 night stay. Some give free nights for staying so many nights. There is some cabin rentals on www.vrbo.com You can call and talk to the owner about theri home (steep mtn. roads, in town, cable TV, location, etc., etc.)

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabins - What to think???

With all the kids, it sounds like a nice cabin would be perfect for your family! They almost always have a game room with video systems, pool table, air hockey, even theater rooms and some have private indoor pools downstairs... and you can definately find a cabin with that and much more given how many kids will be there..Probably would be even more fun for them that the Old KeY West resort! (I know it well :) Disney fanatic here lol we live about an hour from WDW)

I would recommend a resort for you because they usually have a nice pool and often playgrounds! There are many great resorts around to choose from!! I saw someone on here yesterday had this cabin booked and it looks amazing!

acabins.com/pigeonforge/…coppertop.php

I have also stayed at: starrcrestresort.com and Hidden Springs resort... all great :)

Let us know what you decide!!!

KY
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabins - What to think???

Cabins are easy to rent - I worried about it as well, but once you do it you'll find nothing else really compares.

When you book just read the terms, rental fees, etc. closely so that you know what to expect. There are most often fees and of course taxes on top of the base rate.

Upon check in you will go to the cabin rental office, sign your paper work, pay your balance and get your key or key code. They will give you directions to your cabin at that time. Cabins usually come with some intial supplies such as toilet paper and paper towels. They also supply towels, the beds are made, kitchen is stocked with pans, plates, glasses, etc.

We have used Majestic Mountain and had no problems. Most of their cabins are in Wears Valley. The office is located out Wears Valley road as several of the offices are.

Get one with a good view! Pool tables are really a plus too for the kids.

Have fun.

9. Re: Cabins - What to think???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 22:35
10. Re: Cabins - What to think???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge