We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

Morton,MS
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

me and husband have never been this way,any suggestions on differnt stops to see on the way from jackson to Townsend,and suggestions on things to do and places to eat, we are staying at Timberwinds cabins, does anyone have anything good or bad on them

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

We make that drive all the time :-)

If you drive straight through, it's a 9-10 hour drive. Let me tell you about traffic and construction issues.

Just north of Gadsden AL, the traffic is reduced to one lane each way, so be prepared to slow it down. Also, the northern most exit to Gadsden is totally closed, and if you go into town, your GPS, (if you use one),will want to take you back to the highway on that exit. Which brings me to my only restaurant recommendation for this route. The Top of the River Restaurant is a real good family restaurant. You could compare it to the Cock of the Walk out on the Ross Barnett Reservoir, but they actually have more on the menu. Much more than catfish. It takes you off your route a bit to eat here, and we usually don't bother if we are making the trip in one day's drive. But if you stay the night in Gadsden (making your arrival in Townsend earlier,..all the better to do your grocery shopping with a clear head if you get a cabin, or take in the sights on the Foothills Parkway on your way in), Top of the River is the best place to eat in town.

Watch your speed in and around Fort Payne AL. It's reduced to 50 or 55 and they are out there paying attention.

Get ready to face some traffic issues in Chattanooga. Lots of trucks, and there's construction north of there and south of Cleveland, TN I believe.

Gas prices; Although these vary, we've found that our best bet is to fill up at the Pilot in Meridian. Not sure of the vehicle you drive, but a tank will take us all the way past Fort Payne AL to Rising Fawn GA, where there is another Pilot station where the prices tend to be less expensive. There's also a subway in there if you want a sandwich. You will only pass through a corner of GA, so this is a good place to pick up lottery tickets if your into that sort of thing. Once you get into TN you can get them anywhere, but this gives you the chance to play two games instead of just the one in TN.

If you take the route through Lenoir City-Friendsville-Maryville, there's a Starbucks on the left hand side as you enter Maryville. If your into coffee as much as we are, this place is something I look forward to after driving for 8 hours. This is the route we take 90% of the time. Just take exit 81 off of I-75 and it will take you straight to Townsend.

There's also a great little gourmet coffee shop in Townsend. Can't recall the name at this moment, but just look for the bright yellow diving bell on the left side of the road. It's not often that you see a diving bell in the mountains,..so this can really get your attention :-)

I have never stayed with Timberwinds cabins, but I suspect that they have cabins out off of Wear's Valley Road, which leads to Pigeon Forge and the seldom used entrance to the National Park on Lyons Springs Road.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions if I can. I hope ya'll have a great trip :-)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
42,452 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

The construction around Chattanooga on I-75 north is at just before you reach exit #11 (Ooltewah) and extends a little past the exit. All together, the construction area probably isn't more than 2 or 3 miles long, but the backups can be bad at times.

That's the only construction zone between Chattanooga and Lenior City.

You should exit I-75 at exit #81 (Lenoir City) and head toward Townsend up Hwy 321 via Maryville. Except for the town areas of Lenoir City and Maryville, this is still the fastest way to Townsend when heading north on I-75 and you avoid Knoxville altogether.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

Thanks for the tips, Dawg. I make the drive from Ridgeland at least twice a year!

dallas
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

When in Cleveland going to Pigeon Forge, should we head east on Hwy 40, north on 411, and then east on 321? We are coming from the Dallas area so it will be late in the evening. We have never been here, so I do not know how the roads are. Thanks all

Morton,MS
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

Thank you so much for all the info

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

SFgiants, check out this link. It's a map showing all of the construction currently going on, including lane closers (mostly at night) and traffic issues. http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm

Depending on your schedule (and how quickly you want to get to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg), I would stay on I-75 until reaching exit 81 at Lenoir City. That puts you directly onto hwy 321, which would be the quickest route. I can imagine you might be ready to get off of the interstate by then, coming all the way from Dallas :-)

Now if you wanted to do some sight-seeing, you could cut over to 411 at any number of exits. We cut through Madisonville a couple of weeks ago and took in the Foothills Parkway, which is a nice ride that takes you up to Townsend.

We've also headed east south of there to take in the Cherohala Skyway

http://www.cherohala.com/ which is a nice ride. Just be aware that was a rockslide clean-up going on over there a few weeks ago, and the northernmost part of the tail of the Dragon is closed until sometime in July. You can access the Foothills Parkway from 129 where it crosses through the Tallassee Recreation Center, but you cannot access it from the south on 129.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
dallas
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

Thanks dawgcentral. I wish we could do a little more sightseeing but not this trip. We need to get to Pigeon Forge Tuesday night so we can go to Cade's Cove and then to a dinner show on Wednesday. Thursday we heading to Washington D.C.

Thank you very much for the help.

8. Re: coming from Jackson,MS going to Townsend,Tn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge