We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few Questions for first timers

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
A few Questions for first timers

Hi all,

We just booked our hotel today for the Clarion due to all the good reviews. There will be 4 people in our part 2 adults,a 13 year old and a 15 year old. We are staying for 5 days, and We are going in 2 weeks

Day 1: Travel all day, relax at hotel

Day 2:Dollywood

Day 3: Dollywood

Day 4: Any suggestions?

Day 5: Leave

Is 2 days to many days at Dollywood? Also we want to do something on day 4 I am open to all suggestions.

Thank you,

VPT123

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few Questions for first timers

Day 4- VISIT THE PARK! Go on a picnic, take a hike to a nice waterfall, or depending on your fitness level, hike Chimney Tops or to one of the balds.

I will never understand why people go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and never enjoy the park/outdoors.

*OP this isn't an insult or anything to you, I just really don't understand it!*

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few Questions for first timers

Two days is what it takes us to do everything we want to do at Dollywood.

As for day 4, II guess it depends what you family enjoys. My family really likes the the great Smoky mountain national park. You are going all that way might as well check it out. Did I mention it was FREE?

If not your families thing there are plenty of things to do like mini golf, arcades, go carts, live shows, shopping, ATV rides, ziplines, and museums.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 03:12
paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few Questions for first timers

If you do Dollywood go on the first day after 3pm and they will stamp your ticket and you can go back the next day free. it really does take 2 days to fully enjoy the park. with all the rides and all the shows. I'm sure you will love it.

You may want to play mini-golf or go hiking or Horseback riding on the 4th day. My family went horseback riding this past summer and loved it..... and we had never been on a horse before. We seen 2 bears and a snake on the trail. it was really fun and we plan on doing it again this summer. hope you have a wonderful trip.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few Questions for first timers

I agree. . . The National Park is a must see! The Sugarlands Visitor Center is easily accessible from Gatlinburg - they have park maps, a gift shop and a small museum. Its the perfect place to start, if you're planning on visiting the Park.

You may want to consider some outdoor adventure as well. There's whitewater rafting, plenty of ziplines, horseback riding, ATV rides and so on. Wildwater is a outdoor adventure company that has an adventure center on the Big Pigeon River. The adventure center has whitewater rafting and canopy tour ziplines that take you literally "over the river and through the woods". Great place to spend an entire day. Pretty good BBQ there as well.

It may also be a good idea to do some research on alternate routes to your destinations. The main parkway in Pigeon Forge and especially Gatlinburg can be VERY busy at times. Even in April/May.

Have a great time!!!!!!

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few Questions for first timers

For the life of me I just can't see why anyone would travel all the way from anywhere, to Gat/burg, and or Pigeon Forge, and never give a thought to visiting the smokie mountain park. The park is thee only reason these two communities evan exhist.....to take care of the smokies visitors.

Ray

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few Questions for first timers

Thank you huys VERY much, I will deifnatly be going to the Smokie Mountian national park and I will check into horseback riding and ziplines.

Thank You,

VPT123

Belleville
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few Questions for first timers

Check out Dixie Stampede. You would get entertainment and a good evening meal.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A few Questions for first timers

On day 4 you could go to Roaring Fork in Gatlinburg or Greenbriar on 321. Those aren't usually very crowded and in the afternoon you could walk downtown Gatlinburg, eat at Bennet's Bar-b-que, go to the Aquarium or head back to Pigeon Forge to Dixie Stampede. Be sure to make reservations foe it several days in advance though. Look around for coupon books too to get a few dollars off admission.

Worthington, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few Questions for first timers

we are here now and were just at Dollywood today. We went for a few hours yesterday (bought our tix after 3 so we were able to use them again today). The park is only open until 7pm. Beware, it is VERY expensive, they charge foe everything and it's not cheap. It's a pretty small park, we were there 4 hours yesterday, and 4 today, that was more than enough time to ride everything and more than once. We spent the morning climbing up to Clingmans Dome...beautiful but it's a good 15degrees colder up there. Lots to see and do around here, tons of touristy stuff like Myrtle Beach, but some cool outdoorsy stuff that is really only done here (Zorb..check it out) and lots of zipline places. Don't know your budget but plan on about $125 a day per person for food and activities unless you are more like us and rather prefer free and beautful Smoky Mountains!

Worthington, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few Questions for first timers

we are here now and were just at Dollywood today. We went for a few hours yesterday (bought our tix after 3 so we were able to use them again today). The park is only open until 7pm. Beware, it is VERY expensive, they charge foe everything and it's not cheap. It's a pretty small park, we were there 4 hours yesterday, and 4 today, that was more than enough time to ride everything and more than once. We spent the morning climbing up to Clingmans Dome...beautiful but it's a good 15degrees colder up there. Lots to see and do around here, tons of touristy stuff like Myrtle Beach, but some cool outdoorsy stuff that is really only done here (Zorb..check it out) and lots of zipline places. Don't know your budget but plan on about $125 a day per person for food and activities unless you are more like us and rather prefer free and beautful Smoky Mountains!

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge