We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few more random questions...

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nurselissa
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
A few more random questions...

Well I'm about 1/2 way done planning our vacation, I've booked the hotel (Music Road Inn), ordered our family vacation t-shirts, and put together a playlist of vacation music!

My husband says I'm turning this into a National Lampoons movie! What can I say, this is our first non-beach vacation in years. We do lots of long weekends and a trip for a week to the beach in June but when you live in FL the beach is no big deal and I can't wait for my kids (and dh) to get to experience the Smoky's. Anyway sorry to ramble, here are my questions:

1) How much time should we allow for Cade's Cove?

2) Are the caverns worth a visit? If so, which ones? What about the underground lake?

3) We're seeing Dixie Stampede, what other shows do you recomend? Doesn't have to be dinner shows. Dh and kids LOVE musicals!!!

That's all...for now

Canada, Kentucky
Level Contributor
778 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few more random questions...

We always spend at least a half day or more by the time we make all the stops at the cabins and churches and just spend time walking. The Dixie Stampede is great! The Comedy Barn is a good family show. I don't know about the caverns....hope that helps!

paintsville ky
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few more random questions...

we went horse back riding last summer and LOVED it... we had never been on a horse before but they gave us very gentle horses, we went to Sugarlands riding stable it's on your way to Cades Cove about 1 mile or so from sugarlands visitors center on the left. I think a trip to Dollywood is a must. we get season tickets every year and really enjoy it. but you can get a one day pass and if you go after 3 pm you can go back the next day free, which is a very good deal. hope you have a great trip...

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few more random questions...

Even if you don't plan on doing any hikes to the waterfalls in Cades Cove, you can easily spend almost 3 hours there if you make a lot of stops to check out the churches and homesteads as well as the cable mill area. If you are there on a busy day with lots of traffic of course that will slow things down, too.

Stop by the Pigeon Forge Welcome Center (the one next to the Miracle Theater) and pick up a free "Smoky Mountain Navigator" booklet. There is a coupon in there for $3 off Dixie Stampede (limit up to 6 people per coupon). If you are going to make reservations ahead of time, the coupon code is "CODE NAV11".

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few more random questions...

I just have to ask.....

What are family vacation t-shirts??

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few more random questions...

allers,

We used to always get matching family vacation t-shirts when we go to Disney, Universal, etc. Of course, my son is too old and too cool for that now, but it used to be lots of fun!

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A few more random questions...

Ohhhh.....ok. I guess it must be a "families with kids" thing! :)

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few more random questions...

Tuckalechee Caverns outside of Townsend are pretty cool, literally. It's a nice thing to do on a warm summer day. They are west of Townsend off Lamar Alexander Parkway, 321. There are signs that will direct you. Depending on when you go to Cades Cove, you could visit the caves on the same trip. What underground lake are you aking about?

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few more random questions...

You will love the Smokies!! I too live near the beaches so when going on a big vacation would rather stay away from them. Your kids will have a blast and the MRI will be a nice place to stay. I went to Cades Cove many years ago and felt wasnt worth the drive but others feel different. I guess depends on what you like. Also take a ride near Cherokee NC would be nice to spend a few hours. We went a few years ago and my kids got to dance with the Indians which was pretty cool, it feels like you are in another world.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few more random questions...

The underground lake cavern is called "The Lost Sea" and it's worth the trip. Tuskaleechee is nice too. If your going to drive to Cades Cove, allow at least 3 hours to enjoy it and not rush through. We went later in the day and it wasn't as much fun (the animals are stirring around more in the early morning hours, we have always seen deer and an occasional bear. The Gatlinburg strip is a blast, especially at night. It's one of those places you could sit and people watch! Dixie Stampede is a blast. Just a note, if you sit in the preferred seating area, you may get some dirt in your plate but no worries....they will bring you another one if that happens. Go a little early to visit with the horses. The aquarium is super nice too. A nice place for the hubbies is Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, down from Pigeon Forge, it's like a Bass Pro.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few more random questions...

The underground lake cavern is called "The Lost Sea" and it's worth the trip. Tuskaleechee is nice too. If your going to drive to Cades Cove, allow at least 3 hours to enjoy it and not rush through. We went later in the day and it wasn't as much fun (the animals are stirring around more in the early morning hours, we have always seen deer and an occasional bear. The Gatlinburg strip is a blast, especially at night. It's one of those places you could sit and people watch! Dixie Stampede is a blast. Just a note, if you sit in the preferred seating area, you may get some dirt in your plate but no worries....they will bring you another one if that happens. Go a little early to visit with the horses. The aquarium is super nice too. A nice place for the hubbies is Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, down from Pigeon Forge, it's like a Bass Pro.