We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in PF Monday, July 25th, what to expect for traffic

CSD
Maumelle, AR
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in PF Monday, July 25th, what to expect for traffic

I have been reading many posts about the traffic in the area. We are expecting it to be bumper to bumper. We are staying at a condo at Riverstone. We are driving to PF on Monday from Arkansas. Any suggestions on what route we should take to avoid as much traffic as possible? We can also arrive on Sunday as the condo we are renting is open that day. is it better to arrive on Sunday or Monday? Thank you!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in PF Monday, July 25th, what to expect for traffic

During the summer months I do not believe there is much difference between coming in on Sunday vs Monday. That is unless you come through Knoxville during rush hour, then it'd be better to come in on Sunday. Chattanooga is also better on Sunday, IMO.

If you go to the Pigeon Forge forum page and look at the top right corner of the page you'll see a link named : What is the best way to get to Pigeon Forge. The post is a little dated but gives you a good comparison of coming in on highway 321 vs coming through Knoxville. That said it does not account for the heavy traffic but only the distance and time given normal traffic, IE Not during the heaviest seasons of summer or fall foliage.

If I were you, I would come in on Hwy 321 and avoid all of the Sevierville and Knoxville traffic. The heaviest traffic period AND location is very difficult to predict here. For example today the east bound lanes of the parkway in town were moving pretty well iin Pigeon Forge at around noon while the west bound ones were bumper to bumper all the way through town. Often when going out into PF or Sevierville we'll wait to see what traffic is like before deciding to use the back streets because sometimes it is pretty clear but an hour later it's bumper to bumper.

This is mostly seen IMO in these summer months or other peak periods like holidays and October when large numbers of people seem to be shuffling between hotels, restaurants and say Dollywood and back.

During times other than peak, Sunday is a great time to come in but a terrible time to leave. The outbound lanes are bumper to bumper but inbound is wide open. This is due to high volume of weekend visitors. During the summer it's not all about weekenders and is therefore heavy all the time.

Chris

CSD
Maumelle, AR
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in PF Monday, July 25th, what to expect for traffic

Chris, thank youvso much for your detailed response. We have decided to start our vacation on Sunday not only because of the traffic issues, but because of all things we are finding out we can do in the area. This is our first visit. We frequent Branson a lot due to it's proximity and have learned to use all the back roads. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question!

3. Re: Arriving in PF Monday, July 25th, what to expect for traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge