We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Day 4...We got up early for our drive across the mountains. We stopped at the usual viewpoints, except the ones with construction going on. We stopped at Newfound Gap and then drove out to Clingman's Dome but didn't do the hike. The view was a little clearer...could actually see some of Fontana Lake in the distance...and we have never been able to see it before. (DS and her hubby said they have seen it when they go in the spring, but never in the summer.) We still like the views by the catwalks. We stopped for ice cream (again, really?) at the DQ in Gatlinburg and drove out to Mingo Falls. The rains had made the falls flow a little heavier than usual, so they were prettier, but there were people playing & wading at the foot of them, so there was no op for great photos. (That is always a pet peeve of mine. Ought to be some way to balance the need for great photos with the need to swim & wade....maybe they could move the latter to afternoons only since the light isn't good then anyway, and the temps are always hotter! Anymore we have just learned that we need to be on the trails at daylight to ensure no people are in our photos. Enough said.)

DS chose Olive Garden for supper, even thought it is a chain. I just got the soup( chicken nochi), salad & breadsticks, DH got eggplant parm which was excellent. We had a great waiter with the best service of the whole trip.

We saved going to Country Tonite for our final show, as it is usually our favorite. The production is excellent and we love the dancers. The choreography is fabulous and it is such a high energy show. We have come very much to love Bubba. His new rap spiel is so cute! However, this year we felt there was way too much OLD country. We may be "older" but that doesn't mean we don't like the new sound as well. So Country Tonite lost out as our favorite this year to Tennessee Shindig.

Day 5...It was up and out. We made it from PF back to I-40 in only 30 minutes, which was probably a record. Home by 4 PM, but disappointed to find out that coons had gotten into the garden and eaten ALL...EVERY BIT...of our silver queen corn! (And we have a big garden!!)

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

That should have said the DQ in Cherokee!!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Some typos in there, but it wouldn't let me edit for some reason!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Thanks for shaing your trip - from someone planning thier first.

So sorry to hear about your garden, that's a real bummer. Tomatoe worms invaded my garden this year at all of them plus my peppers and eggplant. Not a good gardening year.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us. Where, at Mingo Falls were people wading and playing in the water? I've been there ansd never noticed any sort of area where people would be able to do this. Was it right at the parking lot area? Thanks

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Irgardener...when are you going?

Deputy.....It isn't an optimum area, but the people had gotten down from the bridge, walked up the creek to the falls. Just double checked the photos...4 of the people are off to the left side a little and only 1 is actually in the water, but still was impossible not to get them in the photos where they were. And they weren't at the "base" of the falls, but a little higher up where the water drops before it cascasdes a little farther. I DO understand the lure of the water.....expecially on a day that later hit 98 degrees.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

And Ir....we don't have tomato worms, but they do sometimes get a blight. Gardens are hard sometimes!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Well I'm glad you had a nice trip, dcm, but what happened to the hiking? I kept reading and looking for it, but... You're not gettin' soft on me now, are you?

But I did admire your strict adherence to that ice cream regimen! :-)

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Hey, Smokies Hiker, I know, I know...and we DID miss it, but this trip we went with my sister and her husband. She isn't able to hike due to an illness( MS...but she can still walk short distances), so we didn't do things she couldn't do, except for the walk up to Mingo. We sort of have a "trip set" for the different people we go with....Sis & hubby it's "shows & dining out", with Grandchildren it's "Dollywood & light hiking", with just the two of us it's "hike, hike". I hope that makes sense! I am impressed that you remembered we did some great hiking summer before last, although I think the grandchildren were on that trip...we just didn't give them as much time!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

dcm - we are coming the 3rd week of October. I'm looking forward to seeing the foliage. As we have some beautiful foliage up here in NH but not with the sweeping mountain ranges that you all have in the south. Can't wait.

ICE CREAM - one of my favorite things - so will you share your list? Not big on DQ but love homemade ice cream, and those local ice cream stands. Also hoping to pick up some fresh apples for our visit and hit the local farmers markets and such for cooking.

We are renting a cabin in Bryson City on the NC side.

We aren't big hikers but strolling and walking are good - hubby is a burn / amputee with a prothesis so it just doesn't fit into our lives. But, we love nature and beautiful scenic drives and waterfalls are one of my favorite things.

Our first night we are planning on staying up in the Boone area of NC and meandering for the whole next day down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then the next 3 days doing the Smoky Mountain Area, and maybe over by Brevard to check out the waterfall trail. Although I wonder if they won't be flowing all that much with it being autumn. Any do not miss scenic drives or waterfalls that you don't have to hike into would be great. Thank you.

If you have any suggestions for what not to miss I'd love to hear them.

Thanks, Laura (Lrgardener)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
780 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Thanks for sharing your trip. I love hearing what other people do on their trips. Wish more people would share their stories as well. Glad you had such a great time. Seems that we always have to get ice cream on vacation too.

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge