We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Day 4...We got up early for our drive across the mountains. We stopped at the usual viewpoints, except the ones with construction going on. We stopped at Newfound Gap and then drove out to Clingman's Dome but didn't do the hike. The view was a little clearer...could actually see some of Fontana Lake in the distance...and we have never been able to see it before. (DS and her hubby said they have seen it when they go in the spring, but never in the summer.) We still like the views by the catwalks. We stopped for ice cream (again, really?) at the DQ in Gatlinburg and drove out to Mingo Falls. The rains had made the falls flow a little heavier than usual, so they were prettier, but there were people playing & wading at the foot of them, so there was no op for great photos. (That is always a pet peeve of mine. Ought to be some way to balance the need for great photos with the need to swim & wade....maybe they could move the latter to afternoons only since the light isn't good then anyway, and the temps are always hotter! Anymore we have just learned that we need to be on the trails at daylight to ensure no people are in our photos. Enough said.)

DS chose Olive Garden for supper, even thought it is a chain. I just got the soup( chicken nochi), salad & breadsticks, DH got eggplant parm which was excellent. We had a great waiter with the best service of the whole trip.

We saved going to Country Tonite for our final show, as it is usually our favorite. The production is excellent and we love the dancers. The choreography is fabulous and it is such a high energy show. We have come very much to love Bubba. His new rap spiel is so cute! However, this year we felt there was way too much OLD country. We may be "older" but that doesn't mean we don't like the new sound as well. So Country Tonite lost out as our favorite this year to Tennessee Shindig.

Day 5...It was up and out. We made it from PF back to I-40 in only 30 minutes, which was probably a record. Home by 4 PM, but disappointed to find out that coons had gotten into the garden and eaten ALL...EVERY BIT...of our silver queen corn! (And we have a big garden!!)

Mentioned in this post
Fontana Lake
Fontana Lake
36 Reviews
North Carolina
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Mingo Falls
Mingo Falls
907 Reviews
Cherokee, NC
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Actually Smokies Hiker, we are getting a little softer too! We even joinned the WV hiking club this year and haven't gone far enough to earn our first badge yet!

Lr...back to you later.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Thanks dcmsteach! I really enjoyed all your reports and sounds like you had a great time. I had to laugh though because I thought I was the only one that didn't like people getting in the way of my scenery photos. The same thing happened to me when I was down there in May.....for the first time ever for me, A Place of a Thousand Drips on the Roaring Fork Motor Trail was really flowing but sure enough two guys had to be climbing all over the rocks. I stood there for a while and it was apparent that they weren't leaving anytime soon so I didn't get any nice pictures. Any other time no one is there. :( I saw a video once of a guy climbing down from the bridge at Mingo Falls. That just seemed so dangerous and after visiting the falls for the first time this spring, I stand by my thoughts. Of course by me having MS like your sister, I wouldn't trust my own balance to even attempt it.

Thanks again for the report!

Mentioned in this post
Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork
1,276 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Mingo Falls
Mingo Falls
907 Reviews
Cherokee, NC
Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

Oh, Cookie, it is so nice to hear that someone else shares not wanting people in their photos! We, too, have waited patiently for people to "do their thing" and leave, only to find out they're going to be there for a good while.

Sis has that balance issue too, so I have an idea of where you are coming from.

We DID have a great time. I try to learn to be flexible so that whatever happens or whatever I'm doing...it's what I wanted to do anyway, even if I didn't know it. :)

14. Re: Trip Report...Days 4 and 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge