We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
650 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

hello. looking to have a family weekend Labor Day & found nice cabin that has access to pool, so assume it is in the resort. can anyone tell me about location pros/cons (such as unit views, distance from each other, access from main roads, drive into town or Smokey Mtn NP, etc) how many units share the pool (in other words, will pool be very crowded Labor Day weekend), & rental experience with Sugar Maple Cabins?

1. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 13:37
Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

Stayed there once a few years ago. The resort has easy access to the town of Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. Not so great to access the national park in my opinion, since you will have to take the Spur (Connecting PF and Gatlinburg), then the Gatlinburg bypass to get to the park entrance near Sugarlands Visitor Center, or access the Greenbriar/Cosby area via Birds Creek or through the town of Gatlinburg itself.

Some of the cabins have nice views, many of the national park, and some overlook Pigeon Forge. The pool is at the bottom of the resort, so it's not an easy walk if you have a cabin at the top. The pool is VERY small. There is a playground at the top of the resort, along with a pavilion.

Sugar Maple was easy enough to deal with, but we did have an issue with ants in and around the hot tub. Made the call to have them eradicated, but the ants came right back the next day. Never did get to use the hot tub. I have issues with Sugar Maple, mainly because they call themselves a sister company to Majestic Mountain Vacations, (an incompetent outfit), yet they refuse to honor a return guest discount between the two. I have misgivings about renting from them in the future. Feels like customer satisfaction could be a coin toss.

If your main focus is in and around Pigeon Forge, the location is ideal. If it were me, and I was going to spend most of my time in the National Park, I would take a hard look at staying elsewhere.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
650 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

Dawgcentral: We are looking for NICE 6 bedroom with lots of baths for family reunion, so looking for an area with a bit of everything for people 11 to 70 (so we thought Pigeon Forge) thought this area would be close enough to activities, yet far enough from Gatlinburg masses. I don't mind a bit of a drive to the park for those wanting to go (we plan on getting up & going early) as long as there is a less congested alternate route (i.e., other than thru Gatlinburg strip area). any other areas/rental companies you suggest I check? I'm finding it hard as companies don't give out cabin addresses (for owners privacy), so it's hard to know exactly where cabins are ...

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
650 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

AND how about Black Bear Ridge Resort??? pros/cons how does it compare with Starr Crest Resort as far as location & views?

5. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 13:37
Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

TravelwhenIcan; My search, were I in your position, would begin in the Wears Valley area, which is just west of the main strip in Pigeon Forge. The reason I would start here is the proximity to town, the easy access to a Kroger, which is convenient for both coming to and going from your cabin, (If you happen to be going or coming to/from PF). Also there is a less congested route that leads to a little used entrance to the National park, via Lyon Springs Road, that brings you into the park at Metcalf Bottoms, a central location along Little River Road between Cades Cove, (A must see), and the Sugarland Visitor Center, the largest visitor center in the park.

Having said all that, there a a number of respected cabin companies that have cabins available in this area.

edencrest.net/cabin-rentals/5-and-more-bedro…

sherwoodforestresort.com/search_results.asp…

www.firesidechalets.com/sixbedroom.html

www.moosecreekcrossing.com/property.php…

http://www.yourcabin.com/cabin.aspx?cabin=848

http://www.yourcabin.com/cabin.aspx?cabin=150

These are just a few that I have come across in the past. The only company of which I might be apprehensive on that list is Moose Creek Crossing. Not that I wouldn't rent from them if the conditions presented themselves, it's just that I haven't developed a true sense of trust.

Most, if not all of the cabins represented here are 10-20 minutes away from Pigeon Forge, but you really need to check into each one individually by phone to be sure.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 10:33
7. Re: Insite into Starr Crest Resort Cabins ?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge