We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tornados

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tornados

We usually travel to Pigeon Forge in late Oct., early Nov., but this year we are planning to arrive mid-Apr. and stay for a week. With all the tornadoes hitting in the Indiana area, I thought it might be prudent to ask if there are ever any tornados in the Pigeon Forge area? I would love to see the Smokies in the Spring, and we come down from Canada on the I-81, so just wondered if there is a tornado danger and how severe it is. Can anyone help?

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tornados

Yesterday, the state of Tennessee had many tornadoes reported. (mostly south-west, midstate, and south-east area) A few were reported in the Chattanooga area....not sure how severe or how many. I didn't hear of any in the Gat/burg or Pigeon Forge area.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tornados

Last year, I think there were some tornadoes that came thru the national park and did some damage....mostly to downed trees. That would be bad in itself, but thank God there were no histortical structures damaged by the tornadoes.

Ray

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tornados

The W portion of TN is in Dixie Alley. GB is a pretty safe area. I can't remember a tornado there.

…discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf67c53ef0133ecf9…

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tornados

Thanks for the info folks, I am not so worried now about our upcoming trip!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tornados

We live in the central KY area, and tornadoes are not really common. But they do happen. That being said.....the weather lately has been absolutely crazy and we have had numerous tornadoes recently. I did hear that they are expecting a "widespread & crazy spring storm system" this year.

Karen

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tornados

Thanks Karen, & I hope you don't have any in your area...we have been watching the pictures from Indiana & it's just horrible, feel so badly for those people. Will keep an eye on the weather on where we will be traveling. Thanks again.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
489 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tornados

I have lived in Gatlinburg for 42 years and there has never been a tornado in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in that time. There have been a couple in the Seymour or Kodak area of the county but were very minor and those occured in March. We occasionally have high winds as storm systems blow through but the mountains actually protect the valley from most of that.

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tornados

Thanks HotelGuy,

Now I am totally at ease w/our trip, and looking forward to TN in the Spring! Thanks for your post!

TN
Level Contributor
118 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tornados

I lived in IN and now live near Gatlinburg. Much less chance of tornadoes here, however our weather has been sort of insane. I think the mountains protect us a bit! Enjoy your trip!

Shawville, QC...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tornados

Thanks Stacy....looking forward to it!