We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

We have been to the area several times, and have been to a lot of attractions, however this is the first time with a baby and not just my husband and I. So I'm looking for some tips for good things to do that we can take a baby As well. He will be 11 months old at the time. We have some ideas..like the aquarium in gatlinburg, but I figured some of you out there have taken small children before...and could tell me what your children liked..or what you think would be baby friendly. Thanks so much.

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

or even what to steer clear of that may not be obvious....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
294 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

Taking a hike is free. :) I believe it's the Laurel Falls trail that is paved so you could use a stroller.

You could also take the tramway to Ober Gatlinburg, but that's not really inexpensive.

We went to the Rainforest Adventures last year (purchased discount tickets from Groupon). It was a really cool place...although when you first walk in the smell can be a little much but it wasn't super bad. This place is in Sevierville.

http://www.rfadventures.com/

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,145 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
294 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

So I need to follow up on my post about Laurel Falls. The parks website says they do not advise strollers in this particular trail. Sorry about that. I'm sure someone else can chime in on a trail that will be suitable though.

nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/laurel-falls.htm

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,145 Reviews
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

If you will be here in warmer months and your baby likes the water, there are several day use areas in the park where you can find streams with shallow water such as Elkmont, Cades Cove, Metcalf Bottoms. All great areas for a picnic.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,283 Reviews
Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

My children loved the Deer Farm/Petting Zoo in Sevierville. It is not too expensive and you can go into the goat and deer pen and feed and pet them.

They also liked playing in the water. There is a good place in Cades Cove on Sparks Lane that isn't very deep and children can walk around and splash in it. Mine liked Cades Cove just because we let them out of the car seat to sit and look out the windows while we drove through.

There is also a drive thru petting zoo out past I40. It is a bit more expensive, but the animals come right up to the car window for you to feed and pet.

There is a gocart track in PF that also has smaller rides for the little ones. I'm not sure of the light #, but it is at the light at Wears Valley Road.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,283 Reviews
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

Thanks everyone! I was looking at that zoo adventure last night and that may be something we choose to do. It will be the first week of April... We always come that same time of year...and I know the weather can vary greatly. It's been cold and rainy and so e times sunny and 80.... So we will have to play that by ear. A hiking trail that is good for strollers would be great! We hiked to grotto falls last time...obviously a stroller wouldn't do well there... We will probably do Cade's cove.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

This might not be as fun for him, but makes a good memory if you go to Cade's Cove. Dress him in blue jeans or something old fashioned and take his photo at some of the old houses.

Our grandkids loved Rain Forest Adventures, but I think he is a little young.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

There is a nice paved trail kitty corner from the Sugarlands Vistor Center. It follows along the river and has some intresting things to see. It is only about a half mile long. First of April there will be a lot of wildflowers blooming on the trail.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

We've used a backpack/stroller for hiking with little ones.

ebay.com/itm/…

10. Re: Inexpensive or free activities with a baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:16