We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Break in April?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
School Break in April?

I was wondering if anyone can help me. We were in Pigeon Forge April 14th to 22nd (the week after Easter) and it was EXTREMELY busy. Up in Canada here the kids have what we call "March Break" which is a week off school. Can anyone tell me if there is a school break in the U.S. at this time? Thank you for your help.

Susan

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Break in April?

School breaks vary depending on the school system. My kids were out in mid March. Sevier Co. (where Pigeon Forge is), was out April 10-14. I'm sure others were out before and after. so the Spring Break could be in a window of up to 6 weeks, depending on the individual school system. Hope that helps.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Break in April?

The county school that I work at was out the first week in April here in Ky. Next year it falls the week of Easter. We also get a fall break which is usually the second week of October.

But, like they said, it can depend on where and what city or county you are in. Schools here go back early (Aug. 2nd) and get out earlier than the northern schools. Usually anywhere from the 15th of May to the end of May, depending on how many snow, ice, flood or "what have you" days happen that we are required to make up.

This was hard for me to get use to since I grew up in northern NY state near the Canadian border.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,407 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Break in April?

There is never a "set" week for spring break anymore; it can happen anywhere from early March to late April, depending on the school system.

Tennessee county school systems set their own time for spring break by county. Therefore, on any given week, you could have some counties out of school and some going.

Just count on it being very busy anytime in March or April.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: School Break in April?

Some schools in Michigan have a "mid-winter" break. This school year was the first and last time our school had a week long break (used to be just a long weekend Friday-Monday deal) and it was at the end of February, and our normal "spring" break was the first part of April. College spring breaks are usually the end of February through March. Not sure if Pigeon Forge is a "hot" college spring break location though!

Laura

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,407 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Break in April?

Considering P.F. is, for the most part, in a dry county, college students don't make it much of a destination. Most of the college spring break crowd want to go where alcohol flows freely, and there are lots of bars and such.

Gatlinburg has a liquor store or two, but not P.F.

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School Break in April?

You can buy beer and wine in restaurants in PF....

Not hard liquor, though.

Plus I do know college kids from here go there because it is a closer destination and they rent cabins.

7. Re: School Break in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:35