We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

South Point, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Hello, my husband and I are going to try to visit PF the week of October 7th-11th. We are looking for things that are fun to do but we are on a very tight budget. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
1,393 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Head for the National Park. It's free and the possibilities for fun are limitless.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

I agree 100%....the national park is free to enjoy. No admission fee. The only things that might cost you are the "donation box's" scattered throughout the park, the book stand at Cades Cove entrance, and the souvenirs located inside the various visitors centers.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

I also agree, the national park.

United States
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Take a ride out to Chestnut Hill (Dandridge) & visit the Bush's Beans Museum. Free entry to the museum & store. There is also a café. Plus, you can have your picture made for free! And, receive a free sample of "beans of the day". Or, maybe ride out to Cosby to Carver Apple Orchard. Beautiful views from the restaurant! Plus, you can buy many different kinds of apples. There is a candy store on property, along with fried apple pies & ice cream.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

I think one of our favorite things to do is to take a picnic to Metcalf Bottoms. Sometimes we pick up Subway sandwiches, but last time I had picked up some chicken tenderloins and marinated them the night before. We grilled them and had awesome chicken sandwiches for lunch. I don't know what it is, but eating out in the open air is just the best ever. Especially with charcoal grills! We've gotten so used to the convienece of our gas grill at home we forget how good charcoal grilled food is.

Then we'll usually spend the afternoon walking along the banks or going for a drive. So peaceful!!

Karen

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

You can park and walk the strip for a few blocks and see some of the stores. We visit Stage's West every time we are in town its just something we do. Sometimes we buy stuff other times we don't but its a nice place to waste some time. Also there is plenty to do if you head down the road to Gatlinburg and walk the strip there it seems to have a lot more walking there then PF.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Bring an old stale box of cereal or loaf of bread with you and feed the ducks along the river in town. They can be found in several locations, but Patriot park is one of their larger havens.

Portsmouth, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

I just got back home from there and I've read everything others have replied to you. I agree with them, too. There are many free things to do...it's almost overwhelming! LOL But, I recommend The Guest House International Inn for location and price. It's a great deal for the money. It is a nice place with a very friendly staff who are also polite and accommodating. It is conveniently located within walking distance of many locations in Pigeon Forge with a trolly stop nearby that will take you everywhere! It is directly behind Cork,s Ribs & BBQ, MacDonnalds, and Golden Coral. The owners are very concerned with the quality of your stay. They were quite nice and made our stay a happy experience. We will definitely stay there again!

Newburgh, Indiana
Level Contributor
165 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Drive the Cades Cove and Roaring Fork Motor trail, picnic in the parks, Clingman's Dome, visit the Visitor's Centers, ride the trolley (even tho I've never done it, it's cheap and a great way to see the area without wasting gas). Stay in a motel that offers a free breakfast. We stay in Vacation Lodge on the strip. It's clean, cheap, and right in the middle of the PF/GB. Just spend time driving around enjoying the amazing fall beauty that the area has to offer!

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On a tight budget, looking for free/cheap things to do.

Looks like the park may be out of the equation, at least for the next few days?

The Smoky Mountain Knifeworks near Kodak is a great place to stop and see the new and old knives and cutlery.

The old firetruck near Calhoun's is a great photo op.

The cave tour near Sevierville is a fun, inexpensive few hours.

The old Mill store is interesting and you can check out the mill working.

The Harley Davidson shop in PF has some beautiful bikes.

Hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts are a delicious treat and not too pricey if you get the dozen.

The old Hillbilly still is free to see behind the gift shop (guess it's still there?).

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge