We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away during rod run?

Cerritos, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away during rod run?

I planned a trip to pigeon forge the week of April 19, 2014. I am very much looking forward to it. I just realized that I don't know when the 2014 spring rod run will be held. Where can I find these dates? I do not want to be there during that time. Thanks!

Edited: 03 November 2013, 06:29
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away during rod run?

Appears to be 11 - 14 April in 2014. The PF rod run web site has a number to call for more info:

Pigeon Forge Rod Run - in Pigeon Forge, TN - MCS Promotions (865) 687-3976 .

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away during rod run?

I would avoid car show week if you are there for vacation. Or consider staying in Gatlinburg instead. We were just there for the fall show and its was extremely crowded. Crawl at a snails pace traffic, hotels booked to the max. Didn't really have an issue with dining and we were there for the car show so planned on walking & riding bikes to get around.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
496 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away during rod run?

April 11-26, 2014 will be packed regardless due to Spring Break and Easter. (Easter April 20, 2014) The first week or last week would be a lot less congested.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay away during rod run?

Having grown up going to Pigeon Forge and living only 1 1/2 hours away all I can say is YESSSSS. AVOID.

Unless you LOVE CARS with a passion OR love hoards of people and traffic that does not move but at a SNAIL's pace (and I mean that literally---you can walk faster)....AVOID. We do !

If you MUST go, LEARN the back roads. Use Google maps, satellite views, post questions here about alternate routes, etc.

wagga
Level Contributor
96 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away during rod run?

Leaving Gatlinburg heading north to Lexington KY on Sat 12th April, is it worth the extra distance to go either further east via Crosby, or through the park west via Maryville to avoid Pigeon Forge (or other recommended route?

Thank you

Franklin, Ohio
Level Contributor
171 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away during rod run?

Yes it will be worth the extra distance to go further east via Crosby on Saturday the 12th. The rod run will be in full swing Saturday and it will be a nightmare trying to get through Pigeon Forge. If you leave on Sunday it should be less traffic.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 16:23
7. Re: Stay away during rod run?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge