We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December vist

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
December vist

Will be down the week of 12/9 for a day, or possibly two days. Have never been down in the winter time.

Would like to know of the must dos in the winter time, besides seeing the lights. How is the park in the winter and Dollywood? Any other must sees/dos?

Thanks for the info.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December vist

The Park has a very different look in the winter. The lack of leaves gives a very different view of the mountains. The individual ridges are very visable. I really like it. The must dos are the same that you would do any other time of the year. Dollywood is decorated to the max for Christmas. I hope that this helps.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December vist

Can you walk around in the parks without trumbling down the hills? Thought it would be cool to get picture of the frozen waterfalls, if they would be frozen by then.

Is going to Dollywood at that time of the year worth it? I would assume some of the rides wouldn't be running.

Level Contributor
1,372 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December vist

It depends at what elevation you would be hiking as to whether there would be snow or not. The lower elevations really do not normally get much snow. Once you get above 4,500 ft or so, you may run into more snow or ice and winter storms can come on with little warning. Hiking on Mt. LeConte in the winter definitely calls for extra preparedness. Waterproof clothing and micro spikes for your shoes are a neccesity in case you run into ice on trail.

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December vist

Dollywood being worth it is always a tough call. We have not been for quite awhile because of the price. If the weather is not too bad, I think that most of the rides are still open. Check out their web site for more info.

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December vist

I think Dollywood is very much worth it and honestly Christmas time is my favorite time to go! The shows, the amazing lights everywhere and the rides add to that but I say definitely!!! :)

jc tenn
Level Contributor
553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: December vist

AFter dark at D'wood is beautiful. Everything is covered in lights. Does anyone know how the crowds are in Nov and Dec and D'wood? We've only been once, at night, a few years ago.

KC

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December vist

Dollywood would not be a choice of ours anymore since our children are grown up and on their own.....amusement parks just aren't amusing for us anymore. I would say a trip through the park would be enjoyable. Especially if the trees in the upper elevations are encrusted with ice. That makes for lovely viewing and/or filming. You won't be there long enough to do much of anything else, so I'd stick with some drives in the park. It really takes on a whole new beauty during the winter months.

Nashville...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: December vist

For us, Dollywood at Christmas is our favorite time to visit. Most of the shows are Christmas themed - some are secular (Christmas Carol, Twas the Night Before Christmas), some are Religious (O Holy Night) and some are blended (Christmas in the Smokies, Appalacian Christmas) and some are the regular shows (Heartsong, My People). It can be hard to get all the shows in on any day except a Saturday. If you go on a Sunday, there is a church service (leans Protestant, but any Christian will be comfortable) at 5:30 in the Chapel. For theme parks, it is reasonably-priced ($57 [$52 for Seniors, 60+]) when you compare to Orlando area parks ($85 - $95) and if you think you might return in 2014, you can buy a season pass and it will include all of 2014 in the purchase, so it becomes a lot more reasonable at $84 / person ($79 each if you buy 4 or more). Check out www.dollywood.com for synopsis of shows and more information.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December vist

Agreed with Patrick. Some of the rides are closed during Christmas, but I'm not a big ride-fan, anyway. I like the shows and the atmosphere,

10. Re: December vist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge