We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Does Cades Cove Offer

Hinton,WV
Level Contributor
54 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What Does Cades Cove Offer

What type of wildlife can we see and where?

1. Wolves ( I really wanna see)

2.Elk?

3. Bear?

Where and when is the best places to see them at?

Thank You

Have a three yr old and 2 adults traveling.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

Wolves and elk are unlikely. Wolf population in the area is extremely low, and the elk are normally seen in Cataloochee Valley in Maggie Valley, or the Oconaluftee Visitor's Center in Cherokee.

Lots of folks see bears in Cades Cove, though I never have. You'll be more likely to see deer, and other smaller animals. It's always a beautiful drive, but be prepared for slow drivers, and sudden stops if the car ahead of you spots some wildlife.

Enjoy your trip!

Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

Cades Cove is worth the trip, even if you don't see much wildlife. It's a beautiful place. Try to go as early in the day as you can, or get there about an hour and a half before dusk. Other things that you might see are turkeys and coyotes.

Upstate, SC
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

At Cade's Cove you will take a step back in time, visit old homesteads, have the opportunity to look at history through the graveyards, see a working mill - that works on water power, and visit a gift shop. There are animals - they are wild - we go through with our kids counting deer, foxes, turkey, and bear. Deer are the most common. We absolutely love love this place!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,948 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

We have seen a momma bear and 3 cubs very close to the road, in fact the rangers stopped all the traffic to let them decide where they were going, we have seen a few other bears that were some distance away, many many deer, wild horses, bobcats, woodchucks and tons of wild turkey. No we don't see all of them each time we go. You will usually always see the deer. Certain times of year the bear and turkeys seem to be more plentiful. I think October was when we saw the most bear in the park. Early fall one year was the woodchuck.

One of the rangers explained it as they go where the food source is. So the bear will feed at lower elevations in the spring mostly and move up the mountains as they deplete the lower elevations of berries, etc.

I have only seen a couple of Elk at Oconaluftee, haven't been to Catalochee yet. Have never seen wolves in the area. You can usually ask the park rangers at the visitors center what they have been seeing and approximately where.

Make sure you get your brochure for Cades Cove so you will know what you are seeing. Also the rest of the brochures for the park. Lots of good info in them.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

A few years ago I read in a book published by the Smokie mountain association, that wolves have not been seen in or around the park since the turn of the century. (late 1800's) It seems they were all extrapolated by hunters for various reasons. I once mistakenly videoed a coyote in Cades Cove , thinking it was a wolf. I have seen elk in a field next to the Okonoluftee visitors center at the Cherokee end of the park. I've also seen elk in Cataloochee.

Cades Cove would be your best bet for seeing black bear. Best time would be early morning or evening. But I have spotted bear foraging or fish in the river on Newfound Gap Rd (Rt 441). And we've also driven extremely close to a bear on the road between Newfound Gap & Clingmans Dome Rd.

Ray

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

Red Wolf were reintroduced to the park about 20 or so years ago but are elusive creatures choosing to forego the company of humans. If you're lucky, however, driving late at night, coming around a curve may suddenly light one up crossing the road.

Best time for viewing is very early or at dusk and although the deer, occasional bear, turkey, and coyotes are reasonably common, there are a variety of other critters, like small reptilians and water related creatures as well as raptors, buzzards, and vultures plus song birds abounding in the Cove, so think outside the box as you look and listen!!!!!!!

Level Contributor
1,423 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

Like everyone has said, deer, turkeys, coyotes, and yes, bears are plentiful in Cade's Cove. I'd say 75% of our trips into the Cove we have seen at least a glimpse of a bear. Early August would be a prime time for this. I've seen as many as ten in one visit in August. Many of them up in the cherry trees, stuffing themselves.

As far as wolves go, don't hold your breath. The red wolf reintroduction was a failure and, as far as I know, the remaining wolves were recaptured and removed. Don't forget you can also spot River Otters in alot of the Park's waterways. You can pretty easily spot them in Abram's Creek...

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
497 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

I view cades cove as a time machine. I put myself in the the era of a mountain family and try to picture living off of the land and living in a close knit community. Everytime I go there, my imagination runs wild. Touring the homesteads, i picture a farm field there, a barn there, etc.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

Reading your posting Ryan, I've often wondered the same things each time we visit Cades Cove. I'd wonder if I would have been successful at building our home, growing our crops. I often wondered if I had what it took to live under those conditions....the heat & humidity of un-air conditioned summers....just a fireplace for warmth in the coldest winters. I DO wonder.

Ray

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Does Cades Cove Offer

what is the earliest time visitors can enter? and can i get the brochure online or in PF somewhere for cades?

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge