We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Topic
How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

I inquired earlier about the possibility of visiting over Thanksgiving, & was told that wasn't the greatest idea. I'm grateful for your honesty. We don't want to visit when it's really crowded, but would like to go at a time when everything's open. So, tell me about the 1st week in April. :-)

I'm embarrassed to admit that although I was born & raised in the mtns. of NC, I have been gone long enough to forget what the weather is like that time of year. Also, what could we expect as far as crowds go? Will everything be open? We plan to go to Dollywood, the Comedy Barn, & some of the dinner shows. That's all I'm sure of so far. We have no interest in outlet shopping.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Thats a great time of year to visit. Not sure if Dollywood is open yet or not. The dogwoods and the wild flowers will be in bloom and the redbud trees. Your looking at 65 during day and 45 at night temp wise. It will not be crowded.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

April is a great time to go to Pigeon Forge. Dollywood is open in April. Everything should be blooming or starting to bloom. The weather is just right, not too hot or too cold. Have Fun

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Although April is a beautiful time of the year to visit, so is Thanksgiving!! Yes, the town is crowded, the outlet shopping is horribly crowded, traffic is bumper to bumper, restaurants usually have wait times; but we've learned that you can go at Thanksgiving and enjoy yourself. We usually go the Wed. before Tksgvg. and leave the next Wed. or Thurs. Thanksgiving day is a good day to go ice skating at Ober Gatlinburg, tour Cades Cove with a picnic lunch, go to the Craftsman's fair at the Convention Center in GB, or just explore the mountains.

Most of the tourists leave on Sunday after Tksgvg, and then you can go to the shops and not have to deal with crowds!!. Where there is a will, there is a way.

During the times when we only have Th-Fri-Sat-Sun, we just go with the knowledge that it will be crowded, and we plan total R & R at our cabin--grilling, cooking a big breakfast, lazing around enjoying the morning coffee from the deck, loving the hot tub, and just good conversation and time for each other.

Any time you can get to the mountains, it is special. Good Luck!

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a great time to visit. Although, that's a little on the cool side for us. Not bad though, & it will be a nice escape from the norm. I do miss seeing dogwoods. The fact that it shouldn't be too crowded makes that time of year even more appealing. That was the major deterrence with Thanksgiving. We would only be there from Wed. to Sun. Our vacations have to be schedule around our DS's school schedule. April will be better anyway, because he'll be out of school longer for Spring Break.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,112 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Next year, in 2007, Easter falls in the first week of April and many families with school-aged children will be visiting P.F. at that time. Hate to say, but it will be crowded at that point too, although maybe not quite as much as Thanksgiving. Pigeon Forge isn't a college spring break destination, but is for grade-school ages.

Dollywood will be opening next year on March 31st, but with the Easter week crowds, I'm not sure you'll want to be there with all those hords of people; Dollywood will be very, very crowded that week.

Weather will be difficult to predict. You'll most likely have somewhat warm days and cool nights. Plan to layer your clothes so that you can add to or take off as you need. Rain is a possibility as well, so be prepared, but it rarely snows that late in the season.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Bummer! I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad, because the hotel rates are low. Maybe, they're always that way. I don't know. I did look up Sevier County schools & they're off the same week our DS is. My nieces & nephews in Yancey County, NC are off the next week. I was hoping most kids in the east/ southeast were. I guess not. Our DS' last day of school is May 23rd, if they don't have to miss any days due to hurricanes. Would that be a better time to visit? Thanks again :-)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,112 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

The hotel rates are low ordinarily on that week in April, but my guess is that because Good Friday falls on April 6th next year, that week plus the week following Easter Sunday will have higher prices at the hotels.

Looks like Sevier County schools are off that first week of April, as you said. That will mean all the local kids will be out of school and possibly going to all the tourist spots too. Every school system, varying from county to county, sets their own schedule as to when they take spring break, so there's no consistency in that anymore.

As far as May 23rd goes, it will be much warmer by then and the summer crowds will not have yet arrived in droves, so it might be worth waiting for. I think most things will be open by then for the summer, but the hotel rates will go up significantly once Memorial Day weekend Friday arrives. You'll probably have to pay a much higher price for that weekend. You'll probably find many folks come to the area over the holiday weekend then as well, so crowds and traffic will once again be a problem for those three days.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

How about arriving on the 28th or 29th of May? Would that be better?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,112 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Yes, if you can actually "arrive" on Memorial Day or the day after, you'll find much smaller crowds. Now, realize the place won't be empty, because some folks stay over for the entire week of Memorial Day, but the "holiday" crowds will be gone by then.

Of all the dates you've considered, the 28th or 29th of May could possibly be the best.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How's the 1st Week in April for a Visit?

Thanks :-) I think I'll plan for right after Memorial Day. It should be warmer for the water rides at Dollywood then anyway. Hopefully, my sisters (teachers), nieces & nephews will get out of school around that time & they can join us for a few days.

Even though it probably sounds like it, we don't expect them to set up roadblocks & only allow us in. BTW, do you think they would, If I called & asked nicely? J/K :p I used to visit PF & GB often, when I still lived in NC. I've been there at times when you could easily walk faster than drive. The car shows come to mind as one of the events that created total chaos. It was great back then. I was younger & loved the insanity of it all. You could feel the energy in the air. Fast forward a few years & things have certainly changed. I'm now married & a mom of a 14 yr. old. My DH, DS, & I are very laidback tourist, & bumper to bumper traffic with multiple car horns blowing at the same time would be a nightmare to us. PF & GB holds a special place in my heart & I don't want to go at a time that my DS may not enjoy. I want him to love it as much as I did, when I was his age. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge