We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

I just wanted to post my 2 cents...if you rent a cabin or motel room and your accomodations were clean...tip them...I know first hand that especially with cabins...the cleaners make a very small amount of money to strip,clean,restock,clean the hot tub,and remove the trash from each cabin...(they remove dirty linens,trash...scrub tubs,toilets,mop,sweep,make beds,hang towels,clean kitchens...the whole nine yards...some even have to wash the linens in the cabin....and can take from 2-6 hrs to accomplish this depending on the size of the cabin and how big of a mess was made. Not to mention most of them are contractors not hourly employees of the rental companies. Motel and hotel maids make even less. You would tip your waitress...(I hope)...they're make less than 3 dollars an hour. Take it from someone in the service industry...tips are not only appreciated but are very much a vital part of our income.

Greenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

No offense but....with the expenses and various fees involved in renting a cabin from a renter's point of view a tip on top of that sounds over the top unfortunately everyone in every line of service work can sound the same hardships so...where do you stop...I know I can't afford to tip everyone with a pulse ...taking a family of 4 (5 counting my mom last year) is expensive enough and I work real hard to go on that vacation a line has to be drawn somewhere!

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

I always tip my waiter and maid, if they do a good job I tip more. Having said that, maybe the maids and service people should band together and form a union or whatever to help one another get a living wage so the outdated concept of tipping (gratuities) can be done away with.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

less than $3. an hour? Why are they still doing it?

I would gladly tip if all that cleaning was done!

What do the rental companies do with the 40% rental fee if they do not pay maid service?

There was a thread abou tthis a few weeks back, if you want to see what has allready been said.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

If I had daily maid service, I would possibly consider tipping. However, while staying in a cabin, I'm the one who is cleaning on a daily basis. When I leave, I'm paying a cleaning fee. I'm sorry that you feel that a maid isn't getting paid enough to do what he/she does, but that's something to bring up to the employer - not the person paying the set cleaning fee.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

I agree with jentlewolf we are paying cleaning fees, and we are cleaning the whole week so I don't tip at cabins... at hotels where they are coming in everyday to bring fresh towels, t.paper. soap ect. I do leave a tip because I feel that we are being taken care of at hotels.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
852 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

as far as waiters and waitresses I always tip... sometimes I think even when I shouldn't, when the service wasn't the greatest,I have heard people say that they have left a penny because the service was bad.. I guess I have never had that bad of service to feel like I could do that, but I do tip more if I recieve GREAT service ....

tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

the rental companies are not passing the full amount of the cleaning fee on to the cleaners or the any of the hot tub fee

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

Do you ever feel like you aren't on vacation when you are staying in a cabin that you have to clean, make the beds and cook for yourself? We have always stayed in hotels for that reason. Are we missing something?

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

Hoosiers:

I am biased as all get out here as I have 5 homes we rent. So, take my input for what it is worth. First, I enjoy a good backpacking trip sleeping on my Thermarest, so I am easy when it comes to accomodations.

Cabins offer things hotels can not and hotels offer things cabins typically do not. Depending on where you stay or your travel style and budget, you can get an entire home to yourself often with a great view or creek front or some other natural feature. You get a place where you can cook and many cabins charge for the night and not by the person. So if it sleeps 6 and you bring 6 you pay the rate for the night.

Often cabins provide privacy, private hot tubs, nicer home entertainment options, game rooms and so forth. How many hotels do you stay in that offer 40 inch plus high def TVs in your room, pool tables and private hot tubs?

Many, not all of course, cabin owners go the extra mile in providing fine linens, comfy beds and just all around better locations than a large hotel can provide.

What you typically do not get in a cabin is daily maid service, room service or a wake up call.

So when you compare a room for $149 a night and entire home for $149 a night it is clear to me that in the long run a cabin stay is better value than hotel stay. But if you value the daily maid service and having the on site hotel amenities then perhaps it is a better value for you.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tip your maid service..cabin or motel

I guess that is the crux of the matter, it depends on the individuals. We live on a small farm, see deer, turkey, hawks, fox, regularly and have a wonderful view that includes ponds, woods, cattle and horses. So, while we love a visit through the park and the views there when we visit, we prefer going out to shows, checking out the shops, eating at different restaurants every meal and coming back to a made up bed, cleaned bathroom, and then sitting on the balcony with a cold pop watching the hot rods drive by. I guess renting a cabin or camping out would be like a busman's holiday for us. I used to like hiking and camping under the stars and do somewhat envy those who still are able to bear a pack and do that, but now we prefer to sleep indoors and let others do the cooking and housework when we vacation. Thanks for the insight. Hoosier2

Get answers to your questions about Sevierville