We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

we were told that there is a cave in the smoky mountains that has a huge room inside. not sure which cave it is or where exactly it is located but does anyone have any suggestions for a cave/cavern to visit in April? not interested in doing a really long tour but would like to visit a cave while there!

Virginia
Level Contributor
621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

The Tuckaleechee Caverns are located in Townsend. I've never been there(I'm claustrophobic and just seeing pics of some of those small spaces makes me sick) but the pictures of the formations look pretty cool.

http://www.tuckaleecheecaverns.com/

There is also the Forbidden Caverns in Sevierville. Also never been there for the same reasons but I think its also a very popular attraction.

http://www.forbiddencavern.com/

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

There is also one in Sweetwater off I-75.It's America's largest underground lake and has boat tours.

http://www.thelostsea.com/

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

We have been to the Forbidden Caverns and thought it was really neat. A lot of walking and sometimes you are in a very small space. If that doesn't bother you then it's something to try. It's 58 degrees year round, so it is a nice place to cool down during the summer months. You can take as many pictures as you'd like and you go on a guided tour and the guides tell you the history of the caverns. Definitely something to see!!

Muncie, Indiana
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

We did the Tuckaleechee Caverns last year! It was really neat to see! I'm not sure, but I think most of the caverns only do it by a tour.. correct me if I'm wrong. There was one pretty large area in there, it was fun to learn about. There was an area where you could actually drink from the water, and if you have a water bottle on you or anything, they will let you fill it up.... there were waterfalls and they told lots of stories about it that were interesting..

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

The lost sea looks pretty neat. has anyone been there?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

Thanks guys! I do believe Tuckaleechee Caverns is the one I was told about! It looks like something we would be interested in doing!

The Lost Sea looks really neat too!

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

sydylo, We took the Lost Sea Tour in Oct and enjoyed it. The boat ride is really only about 5 minutes long. They take you for a small ride out to the middle of the area to see the rainbow trout and then back in. Most of the tour is walking and takes about an hour. If you enjoy caves I think you would enjoy it. I think it is a little misleading about the boat ride though.

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

sydylo, We took the Lost Sea Tour in Oct and enjoyed it. The boat ride is really only about 5 minutes long. They take you for a small ride out to the middle of the area to see the rainbow trout and then back in. Most of the tour is walking and takes about an hour. If you enjoy caves I think you would enjoy it. I think it is a little misleading about the boat ride though.

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

The Lost Sea sounds pretty cool, and the shops sound neat. We may try that one. They are supposed to have a glass blower there. That would be nice. (anything I buy would surely get broken before we made it home, though)

Pigeon Forge...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Caves or Caverns in the Smoky Mountains

there is a cavern on dolly parton parkway, right past the wal greens theres a river and a bridge crossing it off the side of the bridge is a huge cave. you will not find this on any map its a local spot where tourist are rarely taken too

Get answers to your questions about Sevierville
Recent Conversations