We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tubing question-how much time?

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
tubing question-how much time?

Read over previous tubing post on this forum but wondering how much time a tubing trip takes? We did one a long time ago in Wisconsin and it was like 6 hours which was really too much.

Like the look of River Rage which Smokiesgirl mentioned.

Thanks!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tubing question-how much time?

I usually go with River Rat... I think they may offer a couple of different options, but I always get in the river where their "office" is, and float down to their official exit, which usually takes me about an hour, hour and a half, maybe? Not sure since I don't wear a watch! However, you can go down the river as many times as you want until they close for the day. Twice is usually enough for me!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tubing question-how much time?

Hello

We love tubing. I first did it when I was 18 - long time ago - and have passed that on to my kids. That is the number one thing that they want to do in the summer when we visit.

We last rented from a place in Wears Valley and then took the tubes into the park. Either that or one of the ones in Townsend are fun. If you go into the park, you will not have the shuttle service. If you go with one of the companies in Townsend, you will.

When we go into the park, we usually grill lunch and spend the better part of the day there. You can spend as much time as you want in eather location. I hope you love it as much as we do!

smokiesgrl

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tubing question-how much time?

I know I came across one that says it has a picnic area you can stop at. How the heck do you get food and drink with you down the river?

Also, we will be traveling with my 62 year old mother-in-law who LOVES tubing and my 2 1/2 year old niece. I had thought at first we could leave my niece with Grandma while we tubed until I found out she really wants to go. Do you think the 2 1/2 year old, carried on somebody's lap, can make the trip? She loves water but.............

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tubing question-how much time?

Hi librarychick

The picnic area that I was referring to is Metcalf Bottoms. That is where we set up for the day. We don't try to tube with our food. We get a table along the river and then hop in the water right there, or walk up to the bridge and tube down to just past the end of the picnic area. Once there, we get out and walk the path back up to our table (or bridge) and get in and do it again. I wouldn't take the 2 1/2 year old tubing. What you can do is take turns tubing and the one who stays behind can play in the water by your table with the 2 1/2 year old. I think the river is just to unpredictable for that age. You can flip or loose your tube pretty easily. The amount of rain that the area has received will change the river level too. If it has been very dry, you will need to help the tub along is some sections, but for the most part, you won't have to do that.

Does that make a little more sence?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tubing question-how much time?

Yes, that makes sense and sound like a good option. Like I had said, my previous tubing experience was several hours long-not something where you could walk back to where you had started and do it again.

6. Re: tubing question-how much time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Townsend