We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Hi-I had come across your recommendation for Sliding Rock and it sounds like something we'd like to try. I had posted a query about a day trip into NC on the Gatlinburg forum (since it seems to get more replies). We're planning on a day trip to NC to see some waterfalls and maybe hit Cherokee and Maggie Valley but I don't want to go too far into NC due to time constraints.

How far, regarding time to travel, would you say Sliding Rock is from Townsend and/or Cherokee or Maggie Valley? I looked up some info on it online but just can't seem to get a good feel of how far it really is.

BTW-I have several relatives in the Cincy area and miss my trips there. My aunt and uncle are still there and they also love coming to the Smokies for vacations.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Hello - I have to check that on the distance and try to figure it out. When I put it into mapquest - the directions from Maggie Valley to Sliding Rock took me all the way back out to I-40 and around Asheville. I know that's not the way to go. We used the Blue Ridge Parkway, but we were starting south of Asheville. Then again, since you read my post, you know we were terribly lost - hysterical as it was! So I'll check out a map tomorrow and I'll see what I can come up with.

I guess your relatives are buried in the ice like we are - I really shouldn't say buried, it's move like covered now :) And don't you have tons of snow? We are expection 1-3 more inches of snow on top of the 3 day old ice tomorrow. Are you getting more too?

Stay warm!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Hello - I pulled out my maps and did some searching on mapquest and this is what I came up with.

Mapquest lists the drive time from Maggie Valley to Sliding Rock as 58 minutes long or 39.43 miles via 19 and 276. We used the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I think that would make your ride longer. If you want to see a map of the route go to mapquest and search Maggie Valley NC to Looking Glass Falls NC. Mapquest did not recognize Sliding Rock, but it is right by Looking Glass Falls on 276.

Mapquest has Cherokee to Sliding Rock via 19 and 276 at about 1 hour and 21minutes or 55.45 miles. And from Townsend it takes about 2 hours, 41 minutes also using mapquest.com.

I hope this all makes sence. If you have a map of North Carolina you will be able to see the routes. Some other posters on here have said that they make it a day trip from Gatlinburg to Sliding Rock and back.

Hope that helps.

smokie

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Taking 19... then south on 276 through Waynesville. This would be the fastest route. BRP would be about half hour longer but is a beautiful drive. I would take one on the way there and the other on the way home.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Thanks for the info-it looks like something my family would really enjoy. Last year when we were in the Finger Lakes in NY we went to a state park near Ithica where you could jump off a diving board into the base of a waterfall. Water was too cold for me but my husband and daughters loved it.

We got snow all week, especially Tuesday. The temps dropped way down again but we're supposed to hit 36 tomorrow so I guess it will all be melting. I'm taking the kids ice skating this afternoon since I think it may be our last chance!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

When we visited Sliding Rock 3 years ago, we took Lee0070's route. I have to say that I thought we would never get there!!! I would have thought closer to 2 hours of driving with lots of curves and hills. I'm usually a pretty good judge of distance but we really learned our lesson! We came back to Gatlinburg via the higways and altho it was probably a longer distance, the drive itself was much more enjoyable. I know we drove past an airport and then got on the highway south of Ashville, then connected with I-40.

By the way- we reallly enjoyed Sliding Rock and would highly recommend it. Just be sure to wear shoes as the rock is really slippery. We saw a lady fall and really crack her head.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Ok, that's been my first thought since I saw the picture-somebody's gonna crack their head open!!!

My other reason for requesting directions is that my husband is very tolerant of my out of the way side trips as long as I know where we're going. If we get lost he can't understand why I don't know where we are-even if I've never been in the state before!!!!

I wish it were a little closer to Townsend. We only have 3 full days in the area and I definitely want to venture into NC but not sure if I want to make a full day trip out of it, although it does sound right up our alley.

Thanks to everyone for the directions and advice!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

You could make a full day out of it. Just 4 miles south of Sliding Rock is Looking Glass Falls. This is one of the most beautiful water falls in the south. Two miles south of the falls is the state trout hatchery. It is free and they give you a tour of the hatchery. They let you feed the fish too. Take the scenic way I suggested. I come to the mountains to get away fron the freeways I drive every day to work. Cradle of the Forestry is right by there too. It is very interesting. This itenery makes for a nice day trip.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Sliding Rock just came up on the Gatlinburg forum. Talk of drive time there was around 2-2 1/2 hours one way. That is about what it took us. I honestly thought we would never get there!

Michigan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Two and a half hours is about right. 150 minutes of some of the most beautiful scenery in the eastern United States. Why be in a hurry. There are lots of pull offs and great places to take pictures. Mountain streams blooming wild flowers... what could be more wonderful. Hate the rush and traffic on the freeway.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sliding Rock-Smokiesgirl??

Librarychick-if you decide not to drive to Sliding Rock, maybe check out the Chimmey Top's Picnic area in the National Park. Not quite the same but it's really popular. It was one of my boys favorite memories. Picture a river with huge bolders. Everyone climbs on the rocks and wades/swims in the river. For the kids bring a couple of tennis balls or something else that floats and they play for hours.

Depending on the level of the river, the pools go from ankle deep to over your head! During the busy times, you have to arrive early to get a parking spot and picnic table on the river, otherwise people just set up chairs and coolers.

Get answers to your questions about Townsend
Recent Conversations