We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Things in Townsend

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
louisville
Level Contributor
237 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Things in Townsend

What are your favorite places to eat and shop in Townsend. Any must do's?

St. Joseph, Michigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

Try this link www.townsendchamber.org. At the bottom of the link you can ckick on topics of interest. Hope this helps.

I stay in a Townsend when I come down. I visited the Tuckaleechee Caverns in Townsend. And a great restaurant is Deadbeat Pete's. But there are other fine restaurants in Townsend.

Glen Carbon IL
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

I don't think we'll ever stay in Townsend again. Not many places to eat. We went to Deadbeat Petes Restaurant, it was OK, nothing out of the ordinary. Theres a Subway and Pizza Hut. Cades Cove is close by, thats a plus.

alabama
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

the best thing about townsend is you don't have to contend with bumper to bumper traffic!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

Townsend isn't the place to go if you're looking for a variety of shopping and attraction options; mainly it is for those who are going to the Smokies to see the Smokies themselves and don't want to contend with a lot of traffic. Wears Valley serves to this end, as well, and is closer to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for restaurant options.

I've heard great things about Tuckaleechee Caverns, though I haven't been there myself. If you like caves I would put it on the to do list.

Kristian

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

We love Townsend, but rarely get to stay there anymore since our kids want to be close to all the attractions for evening entertainment. My dh and I love it for it's peacefulness.

Have a look at this website for a virtual tour of just about everything on the parkway:

discovertownsend.com/_virtual/townsend_tn_vi…

My favorite places to eat are, Miss Lily's Cafe, and the Trailhead Steakhouse.

Miss Lily's is a quaint little place right off the main parkway. I had the chicken salad sandwich and thought it was very good. Service was good too. I had read about the cafe and so we decided to try it out. We were glad we did.

dininginthesmokies.com/_townsen/miss_lilys_c…

We had a great steak dinner at Trailhead. It's a small place, white table cloths and all. You might need a reservation.

dininginthesmokies.com/_townsen/trailhead_re…

For shopping I really enjoy the Apple Valley Country Stores. Lots of country items there. I'm surprised they do not have a website. At one time they had entertainment on the front porch on weekends, but I'm not sure about that now.

They have a little kitchen restaurant there, and the although I haven't tried it yet, the reviews on TA are good;

http://tinyurl.com/6oz32c

Other things we enjoy:

Walking the bike path that runs parallel to the parkway and stopping in at the visitor center. Very peaceful and relaxing for us.

The Lily Barn. A sister to the restaurant, this is about a 5 mile drive to a lovely 3-acre perennial garden. There is a walking path throughout. Very peaceful.

http://www.lilybarn.com/

Of course if you are there during the summer, there are places to go tubing in the river. That is a ton of fun if the water levels are good.

:)

Charleston
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

If you haven't been to Tuckaleechee Caverns, you REALLY should do that. It is awesome. We've been there a couple of times, and we'll be going back.

Raymond

7. Re: Favorite Things in Townsend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Townsend