We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am confused!

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I am confused!

Hubby and I are having a 'discussion' about the location of Townsend. We always turn at light #3 in PF and head out Wears Valley to Cades Cove. We go to the stop light and turn left to go to Cades Cove (Tubing Places on right & left side of the road just before the light and a gas station on the right sitting at the light). Hubby thinks that is "Townsend"...............I thought you took a right at that light to go to Townsend and the Foothills Pkwy (other side).

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am confused!

I think you both are correct. The are at the intersection is Townsend from what I recall. To the right will take you to more of Townsend. If you take the right and go about 1.5 to 2 miles on the left is store. It is Apple ????. I can not recall the name. When we are heading to Cades Cove we usually go by there first and pick up a to go sandwich from the sandwich shop. They make a good picnic lunch and their homemade pototoe chips are good.

John

Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am confused!

discovertownsend.com/_virtual/townsend_tn_vi…

I used to think that where Wears Valley Road ended was the middle of Townsend, but the map on Discover Townsend shows a lot more down past the Apple shops.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 21:33
Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I am confused!

Geez, I thought we really were on to something, so at least "I" don't have to admit I was wrong! If I understand right, you would turn right to go to the foothills parkway? And the Tremont ??? something about old time logging? Where would that be in regards to sitting at that stop light?

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I am confused!

From Pigeon Forge turn on 321 Wears Valley Road and follow that road and it will come out to a -T- If you turn left it will take you to the National Park and there is a couple of gas staions and a RV Park on the left side,Now if you take a right at the -T- then it will take you into Townsend Lamar Alexlander Pkwy.

Here's what you will come out to when you come to the -T-..

Does this help?

…webshots.com/photo/2217550970105043660MCfUMx

The store John is talking about is Apple Valley Country Store and Kitchen they have a restaurant and gift shop.Its a nice big store.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 23:58
Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am confused!

To get to Tremont, you would turn left at the light like going to Cades Cove and then right on Laurel Creek Road. Tremont is not far on your left. I'm not sure what all is there. They have some sort of classes and I think there are some trails that start there.

Elkmont is also in that direction, but turn left at the Y instead of right.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 00:05
Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I am confused!

Thanks for all of the help. CG that's where I was talking about the stop light. I would love to go to Tremont in November when we go and possibly to the other end of the Foothills Parkway. How far is the Foothills from that light (turn right @ the light)!

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I am confused!

Farmgirllulu When you turn right at the light you will go pass Townsend right before you get to Walland, Foothills Pkwy will be on the left side.I think its around 5 miles from that turn.Could be more or less but Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) - the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2015.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am confused!

"I thought you took a right at that light to go to Townsend and the Foothills Pkwy (other side)."

You're correct Farmgirl. Townsend is not very big. Just out of Townsend go left onto Foothills Parkway. There's never much traffic and you get to go by Look Rock observation tower, Top of the World, and then down to Chilhowee lake. At the end of the parkway a right takes you back down to Maryville; a left to the Tail of the Dragon.

Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I am confused!

When you turn right at that light you will be on Lamar Alexander Pkwy you can take a Left on Foot Hills Pwy or a Right on Foothils Pkwy if you go right on Foothills that the way that is closed untill 2015.If you turn left on Foothills Pkwy and follow it all the way it will end at State Hwy 115. Just google map of Townend and blow it up and follow Lamar Alexander and you will see both of the Foothills Pwky's.

10. Re: I am confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 05:19