We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage House Restuarant

Which Townsend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuart, VA
1 post
Save Topic
Carriage House Restuarant

Would not recommend this at all. We have eaten here numerous times on our trips to Townsend. This time, we went there on Saturday night. I should have know when I walked through the door and it smelled like a "greasy diner" it was not going to be a good meal. We were seated and told that our waitress would be with us shortly. Well, it was not real busy at the time we were there and we waited and waited for our waitress. They brought anothe couple in and seated them across from us. The waitress came right on and waited on them. Apparently they were locals. She then looked at us and finally came over to take our order. We decided on the buffet. They had ribs, fried and baked chicken, meatloaf, and several different veggies. Well, the salad bar was okay. The ribs were nothing but fat and bone and tough. The fried chicken that my husband got was dry and tough as was my baked chicken. We were very disappointed. to say the least, in our meal. We did not eat there again while we were in Townsend. I recommend the Black Bear restaurant up the Wears Valley road. It was great!

Deatsville, Alabama
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Carriage House Restuarant

My wife and I also went there in Sep 04 in the evening. We found the food to be good. I must agree with the lack of service. It wasn't real busy at that time either. Don't ever! sit me down and walk away never to return to refill my tea!! However, a friend of mine there in Townsend encouraged me to return, especially for breakfast. What a difference! The food was excellant! not good, excellant! Service was also greatly to be commended. I believed I tipped $5 or more. I also reported the lack of service from the day before. They seemed disturbed that an employee of theirs would do that. To make a long story longer..., I will go back to eat there.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carriage House Restuarant

I ate the sunday morning buffet there. It was excellent. The waitress was lacking on keeping my glass full but I do drink alot of water when I eat so I expected it. It was crazy crowded but the food was great and the deserts was awsome. Maybe the sunday morning buffet is the best time to go.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carriage House Restuarant

Breakfast is the only way to go. They do that very well. Otherwise, not worth it.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carriage House Restuarant

Even though the original post is quite old, I think someone should speak in defense of the Carriage House. I've been going to Townsend for vacation for years, and I now live there in the summertime. The Carriage House is a local institution. At Sunday lunchtime, it's jammed with locals. What's so special? The piping hot, fresh fried chicken. Desserts that look like grandma made them at home that morning and brought them in. Surprising vegetable choices with a southern flair to each one. Where else can you find home grown sauteed cabbage, fried okra, or yellow squash on the buffet on any given night?

The restaurant is simple, and people expecting the glitz of Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg will be sorely disappointed. However, having watched restaurants come and go, the key seems to be keeping the quality of the food high. The Carriage House has been open for decades, so there must be something to their success. Try it for breakfast or their dinner/Sunday dinner buffets. It's good, fresh, home cooking. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5. Re: Carriage House Restuarant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Townsend