We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

On our next trip in September we will be staying in Gatlinburg and was wondering which is the quickest route to Townsend to see Tuckaleechee Caverns and lunch at Sister Cats Cafe.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Tuckaleechee Caverns
Tuckaleechee Caverns
1,532 Reviews
Townsend, TN
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

From GAtlinburg take 441 like you are going into the park and at the visitor center turn right and follow the signs to Cades COve. Before you get to Cades Cove turn right at the WYE ( a Swimming/picinic area) and this will take you to Townsend. Sorry I am brain dead this morning and cannot remember road numbers.

Or you can go into Pigeon Forge on 441 and take Wears Valley road to Townsend. I think the first would be the quickest from Gatlinburg.

Mentioned in this post
The Townsend Wye
The Townsend Wye
21 Reviews
Townsend, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

Both routes are nearly identical in mileage but due to the low speed limits and curvy roads within the park it may take a bit longer to drive that route. Then again the traffic in Pigeon could erase that time savings by sitting in traffic congestion. Kind of a toss-up. There's also an alternate route going partly through the park, turning at Metcalf Bottoms and back into Wears Valley via Little Greenbriar, but it's still about the same mileage and time.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
699 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

There is no "quick route" between Gatlinburg and Townsend. The previous posts are right on point with the three most common routes. If you are in a rush, then by all means take the route thru Pigeon Forge as there are few things worst than to be in the beautiful GSMNP and have a "gotta get there now driver" on the Park roads. Slow down and enjoy why you are in the Park to start with or at least permit others to enjoy why they are in the Park!

Edited: 20 August 2011, 09:52
Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

I live in Townsend. We usually choose to go thru the park to go eat in Gatlinburg and back thru the park on the way home. Its a beautiful, curvey drive along Little River. Will take about 45 min depending on your speed or the speed of the car in front of you. You'll like Sister Cats, think they close fairly early, maybe 3pm or something.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

By no means did I mean I was going to drive like a mad man going through the park or be an idiot to anyone else on the road. I've been to national and state parks all over the country so I know how to be a courteous visitor. What I meant by quickest didn't necessarily mean drive time but distance since it looks like you have to go out of the way to go the Pigeon Forge route to Townsend.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I haven't been here since I was 12 so we are so looking forward to this trip.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 18:07
Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

Don't how many years it's been since you were 12 but if it's been a while you will be shocked by the growth in Pigeon Forge. Used to be you could tell where Pigeon Forge stopped and Sevierville began but it's all run together now with only a sign letting you know you changed cities. I won't get into how much it's changed since I was 12 but let's just say it's significant.

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

@ coastermeister.......sounds like the changes between the time I was 12 and you were 12 will be equally significant.

8. Re: Quickest route to Townsend from Gatlinburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 15:15