We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in the Mountains

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in the Mountains

It has been YEARS since we have been to Tennessee, my 13 yr old was maybe 4 the last time we went. I am looking to give my kids a Christmas trip this year, the 27-maybe the 31, we are wanting to do a cabin if able. Any suggestions? I don't want anything sky high, or would it be better to get a Hotel Room?

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

In the Townsend area, try two of the larger cabin rental companies - Dogwood and Bearl'y Rustic. Nearby in Wears Valley a couple of others include Timbercreek and Volunteer cabin rentals. In Townsend, there is one national motel chain - Best Western Cades Cove and several locally operated motels. Popular ones include Townsend Gateway Inn, Riverstone, Dock's, Tally Ho. Dock's has 2 small cabins that overlook the Little River. It is a nice, quiet location if you want to be near the Park. If you want to be closer to commercial activities for the kids, Christmas decorations and lights, Pigeon Forge is 20 - 30 minutes away.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

If you plan on renting a cabin during the Christmas holiday, it might be best if you choose one in the lower elevations. A few years ago friends of ours rented one on a mountain side and was snowbound a few days, unable to leave their cabin. The big downside to renting a motel room, all your meals will have to be bought and paid for daily. Three meals a day, for four people, for as many days as you plan to stay, can get awfully costly. Food would be your biggest expenditure of the whole trip.

There are quite a few nice cabins to rent in the TOWNSEND or WEARS VALLEY area. (lower elev) You might also want to look into V.R.B.O. for cabin rentals in those areas. Both these communities are highly desirable.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

Thank you both for your replies, I am checking the places you suggested. It will have to be lower elevation for sure, don't have a automobile that could handle the higher ones. I am thinking cabin for the food reason alone, that and we done the motel/hotel route and have never stayed in a cabin in the area before. Thanks again.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

I believe you'll love the cabin much better than a motel or hotel. About four years ago we abandoned the motel for cabins. You're much more secluded and hardly ever see the cabin closest to you. Plus you have the option of grilling steaks, burgers or whatever, exactly the way YOU like them. But the biggest plus is, You're by yourself.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 20:06
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

If you will be cooking in your cabin, the IGA in Townsend has plenty for a week's worth of groceries. And people drive from Knoxville for the fried chicken at their deli. If you want a wider selection, there are several stores in Maryville and Pigeon Forge - Kroger's, etc. Very nice market in Maryville here http://www.themarketinmaryville.com/

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

Thanks, where did you stay?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

Thanks for the info, we are still in the maybe maybe not back and forth mode, lol. If we can't come up for Christmas we are hoping for maybe April lol.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

Both are great times to visit. If you wait until April, you will be here for Spring weather and the wildflower bloom . Search for wildflower pilgrimage for more info. If Christmas, the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area does a great job of decorating - Gatlinburg especially.

9. Re: Christmas in the Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Townsend