We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?

Which Conroe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?

I'm part of a group of friends, widely geographically scattered, who for the past 16 years have had a weekend reunion in Conroe every November. The past few years, we've been starting out the weekend with a group dinner on Friday night. We used to always meet at the Golden Corral, which had a nice private room, but it's been closed for some time now. Since then, we've never found a decent place. We tried another buffet (I can't remember whether it was Luby's or Ryan's) and they were not very accommodating. We went to Willie's, and while the food and service was good, they seated us with a bunch of small tables pushed together in a long line, crowded in by other diners and unable to interact with anyone but the few people sitting around us. Last year we went to the Texas Roadhouse, and it was very loud, too loud to carry on a conversation. We're still on the hunt for the perfect Friday dinner spot, and November is coming up again.

Ideally the restaurant would have decent food, but not be too expensive; have enough of a variety to satisfy some picky eaters; either be not too crowded or have a private dining room we could reserve; be fairly quiet (one of our members is hearing impaired, and he was supremely frustrated at the noise level last year); and be able to handle up to about 15-20 people.

There are a lot of restaurants in Conroe and vicinity, so I'm sure the perfect spot for us is out there - we just haven't discovered it yet, and unfortunately we can't scout in advance. Does anyone who's more familiar with the area have any good suggestions? Thanks kindly in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?

samsboat.com/lakeconroe/privateparties.html

http://margaritaandpeppers.com/catering/

http://www.mckenziesbarbeque.com

Pappadeaux's in the Woodlands has private dining room

Buca Di Beppo - Portofino Shopping Center

19075 Interstate 45 S, Conroe, TX

Maybe Outback Steakhouse. You'd have to email them.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will pass them along!

Level Contributor
1 post
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?

I'd stay away from the Catfish place going west toward the lake. Bad food and service. Period!

Reply to: Good restaurant for a large group in or near Conroe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Conroe