We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

Which Conroe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

My sister and I want to make a "little trip" to Conroe to visit our father's grave.....but would also like it to be not a downer, but a "fun little trip" any suggestions would be MOST apprciated....some fun place to stay, visit, eat.......and can travel a little after....just don't want to do Houston.......my sister is 74, I am 63....we also have husbands same ages with us.....so, that said...HELP....... we would like to make a weekend of it..... thanks

4 replies to this topic
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

Conroe is alright but I recommend staying in The Woodlands about 20 minutes south down I45. It has a good choice of hotels and restaurants around/near/in the Woodlands Mall which is great for shopping. Also a movie theater. Check for shows at the Cynthia Woods Pavillion. If you have golfers in the group, The Woodlamds Resort has fine golf courses. Old Town Spring has antique stores, restaurants, etc.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

Thanks so much for your quick response....we could drive even further, if there was something fun to do, sightseeing or gambling ( my sister enjoys this)..... she's not much of a shopper, and are there any "quaint" b/b's in the area...NICE.... I DON'T ROUGH it!!!! lol......you are sweet to answer... we have been to conroe, obviously, but don't KNOW A LOT about it....so any more you can suggest is appreciated!!!!!

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

Not sure if you've made your trip but Bernhardt Winery is close by and has outdoor concerts every Sunday; nice place... Bring folding chairs and taste some great wines.

Also downtown Montgomery (very small town) past the lake has some fun boutiques to walk through. Recommend you stop by and say hello to Rendy, owner of the Rancher's Daughter. She is one of the cutest and nicest little Texan girls you will ever meet... and charming hostess. She also has a great assortment of Texas wines and a little bar to sample a few if desired.

There are a couple other wines stops for fun. Cork it is fun and they sometimes have new musicians on the patio.

For food... there are some fun places on the lake (105). Giovanni's has great Italian... just before the lake area... But there is sam's boat, fajitas jack's (food is good); then there's wolfies, papas on the lake, and the back porch... Similar to sams boat... sports bar setting. If you stop, walk out on the Marina and feed the fish for a quarter.

There are good restaurants in Conroe... along i45 you'll find salt grass and others.

Have a wonderful trip. Sister trips around loss of a parent should have good memories scattered through-out!!!

Edited: 12 April 2014, 19:47
Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe

Thanks SO VERY much for your input. Still looking for a good place to stay, do you know of any b&b's or little houses/cottages to rent in the area? And yep a sister trip to visit our father's grave NEEDS some good memories as well......again thanks for great info!!!!

Reply to: Wicked stepmother buried our father in Conroe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Conroe