We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal Beach, TX

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Crystal Beach, TX

We are considering visiting Crystal Beach, TX, next year and would appreciate any information on family places to stay, restaurants, and the general area.

texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

Crystal Beach is a great family beach spot! Close to Galveston where you can find great restaurants, great shopping. Crystal Beach is mostly beach house rentals. If you go to www.beachorbayrealty.com, you should be able to get a great deal on a beach house right on the water. Look for beachfront or 2nd row.....but don't wait too long, as those book up fast!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

To Carribeansoul95: Thanks for the information. We will follow up on it. Toofaraway.

Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

My husband and I drove from Florida out to Crystal Beach in September. We were looking to purchase a property and had a meeting with a realtor. We planned on staying in a local motel and we were totally discusted with the three motels located in Crystal Beach. Everyone of them was totally unacceptable. Dirty, smelly, old, desolate. There wasn't an open restaurant to be found in Crystal Beach. The beach water was brown and uninviting. We really wanted to give this area a chance so we decided to take the ferry over to Galveston. Not much better. We must have seen a million jelly fish in the water while on the ferry ride. Once in Galveston, trash lined the beach. We were so dissapointed we didn't even stay one night in the area. We were warned, but wanted to judge for ourselves. The warnings were right on!

Pflugerville, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

You need to understand that for the most part, beaches in this area are NOT the beaches you have experienced in Florida or the Caribbean. The sand is darker and the water is murky.

We were in Crystal Beach last weekend and I was disgusted. I have no problem with seaweed. It's natural, and important to dune preservation. What I object to is the liberal amount of plastic garbage of all sorts and beer cans that are at the water line. And it's not just a bit, it goes on and on and on.

Maybe the beaches are still messed from the hooligans and spring break, but it's still a shame.

Kids can have fun, but parents might be apprehensive about this.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

well I guess this answers my question about how the beaches are in galveston area.. Is it dirty because the storms? I am from Louisiana, our beaches are gone, Holly Beach was wiped out completely. and we usually go to Biloxi, but Mississippi was wiped out as well. Any suggestions on which beach in Texas area to visit? or what to visit and see.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

well I guess this answers my question about how the beaches are in galveston area.. Is it dirty because the storms? I am from Louisiana, our beaches are gone, Holly Beach was wiped out completely. and we usually go to Biloxi, but Mississippi was wiped out as well. Any suggestions on which beach in Texas area to visit? or what to visit and see.

Dallas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

One thing I can tell you is do not waste any of your money on the Out by the Sea B&B. And make sure your friends don't either!

The owner is a certified nut. She reminded us over & over that she has a masters and was the owner and we had to do exactly what she said. We were there for a wedding as part of the bridal party. The second night there, after throwing tantrums at the bridal party, including the bride and almost ruining the wedding, she went one step further and around 1130pm kicked us out of the B & B saying it was her home, not a business, and we were not welcome any longer (even though we had already paid for the night). All weekend she wrongly accused random guests of "breaking" items in the house, and told us we couldn't eat at the dining table because she needed a place to fold towels. She apparently rented all of the rooms, including an "overflow" room that consisted of a matress lying on the floor, leaving herself no where to sleep except on the couch in the living room. VERY UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE!! The rest of the staff were extremely caring and wonderful, but even they could not stop the owner ruining everyone's weekend AND the wedding! My advice is if you do visit the area, rent a beach house!

Crystal Beach, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

Please take into consideration that the post regarding Out By The Sea B & B is one-sided and without having management reply, you don't know who to believe.

I am the new manager here and the owner has explained the situation to me and there is indeed more to the story. There was a very valid reason for asking this woman to leave. Please don't allow one person's post to persuade you not to visit Crystal Beach and, specifically, Out By The Sea B & B. We value your business.

Sharone, Manager

San DIego CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

I live in San Diego California and my folks live in Crystal Beach and have for several years so I go over two or three times a year. When I don't stay with them in thier beachfront house I stay in a place/cabin called Abalone Shores. it is almost new not even one year old and it is beautiful!! Right on the beach and it has everything one needs for a great week or weekend. It must be only 50 feet away from the beach. Swedes is the management company.

This is the link for the cabin and management company just cut and paste it. http://www.swedesrealestate.com/ and go to beachfront and look for Abalone Shores

This time of year is best, the beaches are almost empty, the rents are off season and the weather is perfect unlike June, July, and August, when it unbearably hot and humid and the beaches are packed. This is a pretty mellow place anytime but the summer.

Mike

10. Re: Crystal Beach, TX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Crystal Beach