We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

Ft. Worth, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

Hi,

Yes, we are waiting to the last minute but that is the way my husband's schedule goes. I've been dying to get to the coast and am excited about getting to go. The problem is I don't know the first thing about Galveston or Crystal Beach or anything down there. I live in Ft. Worth.

It would be me, husband and 2 1/2 yr. old. Can anyone recommend one place over the other or is there another "island" that's even better? What about accomodations? I've looked online at the hotels on Galveston and thought a last-minute cruise would be cheaper for those prices. I've also looked at the house rentals and found some reasonable options although I don't know the first thing about the different areas they are located on Crystal.

Any suggestions/recommendations? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

redhawkeagle

Bridge City, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

Crystal Beach is a great place to take your family on vacation. There are many beach houses for rent that are reasonable look on crystalbeach.com this site has realtors and individuals that have rentals available. Certain areas to stay away from are Swedes Road on the beach side and any editions close to it (this area of the beach is called "The Zoo" and it is one).

Better areas are Holiday Beach, Ramada Beach, Sandy Shores, Sea Breeze, Emerald I and Emerald I. There are two or three water slides right on the highway to take the kids to, a grocery store, gift shops and several restaurants. We have traveled to Crystal Beach for the past twenty years and have never been disappointed. It is just 10 miles to Galveston including the ferry crossing. Galveston also has numerous shops, restaurants and Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens and other water parks too. Less traffic and people to deal with in Crystal Beach. Hope this info helps. Have a great time whatever you choose. Sincerely, Yazamy

The, Colony
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

Where did you end up? I am curious because I am in a similar situation now.

San DIego CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

I would go to Crystal Beach. The waves are small and the beachs are large with alot of sand. The ferry ride over is pretty cool if you keep your eyes open you'll probably see some dolphins. Beach house rentals are the way to go. You just have to bring you own towels and bedding but you can live like your in your own home. You can also rent the bedding from the property managers for a small fee. You pay premium for a beach front house and less for each row further back away from the beach. The beach houses vary from old fishing cabins to new state of the art homes that would be the pride of any neighbor hood. Swedes rents more than three hundred homes and there are several other management company that do the same. They are just the largest with the largest inventory. I've been told by my mom who lives there that people rent all the time on the spur of the moment.

M MCCONNELL

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

We rented from Maverick Beach Rentals and enjoyed our large beach house in Crystal Beach, TX. It had enough room for 8 people and had a large living room, two full bathrooms, a large deck and a covered parking place. We were a few rows back but were within walking distance to the beach. Our house also had access to a community pool, which the kids enjoyed. The area is so much less busy than Galveston. It's more family-friendly, too! Of course you can ride the free ferry across the bay to Galveston. The kids loved the 20 minute ride, watching the seagulls and dolphins.

The company has several nice homes available for rent in the area. Check the website. The damage deposit ($200) is paid the day you arrive. Check-in time is Friday and Sunday, from 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. Usually the renter is responsible for bringing linens unless other arrangements are made.

Maverick Beach Rentals is one of the FEW beach rental companies in the area that seems interested in the vacationer's well-being. They don't kill you with millions of restrictions and requirements that the others do. The damage deposit is quite reasonable, too. The owner is very nice and easy to contact. His website is www.maverickbeachrentals.homestead.com.

For a great meal, try Stingaree's. It's on the bay side off Stingaree Road and has a great view. The food is good and fresh. We've never been disappointed there.

5. Re: Crystal Beach or Galveston Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Crystal Beach
More Crystal Beach Topics