We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Penang Island...
7 posts
1 review
Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

I’ll be arriving at DFW by British Airways and connecting by American Airlines to New Orleans in 2.5hours upon landing . Though the code share flight tickets were issued by BA for the entire journey, a computer glitch during pre-flight seat selection had caused my flight schedule between Dallas and New Orleans went missing from the BA system. Fortunately the connecting flight details are still visible via the American Airlines website.

Due to this problem BA will not be able to print the American Airlines boarding pass for my connecting flight between Dallas and New Orleans . Hence I could only land in Dallas, reclaim my bag and needed to look for an American Airlines transfer counter after custom check , to print my boarding pass and re-tag my luggage before checking in again.

So is there an American Airlines transfer desk just after custom clearance at DFW airport to assist me in processing my boarding pass and recheck my luggage without having to leave the security area ?

Or do I need to leave the security area, go back to land side and look for an American Airlines check-in counter?

19 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

When you arrive at DFW on an international flight, you will go through U.S. Immigration, collect your luggage, then go through U.S. Customs. At that point, you will be outside Security in Terminal D (no transit areas*). Go straight up the nearby escalator to the AA check-in desk to complete what you need to complete. TSA checkpoint will be adjacent; go back through, check the departure board for your next flight, take the SkyLink train to where you need to be. www.dfwairport.com for maps with SkyLInk stations (2 per terminal).

*Be sure you have a valid ESTA or visa, because you WILL be "entering" the U.S.

Edited: 04 November 2017, 14:52
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Your bags will be checked through to New Orleans but as mentioned you will collect bags at DFW to go through Customs. Immediately after Customs you will hand your bags back to an agent who will then expedite bag transfer to the appropriate flight. You do not need to carry your bags to the AA Check-in desk. Once you get your boarding pass proceed through security to your terminal and gate.

Understand that C&I can take a while so do make your way in an expedited manner.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

"...my flight schedule between Dallas and New Orleans went missing from the BA system." I'd say be ready for either scenario. Hopefully BA will sort things out and tag your bags to MSY. In that case you'll use the re-check desk just beyond Customs as Gehrig says. You should then be able to use a kiosk upstairs to get your boarding pass.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

I have used AA/BA codeshares before and had similar troubles. The system would not allow me to print boarding passes for certain codeshare flights. I suspect when you check in at your departure airport they may be able to confirm all flights and print your onward boarding pass for DFW to MSY. You might also call AA to see if they can help you. Good luck.

Penang Island...
7 posts
1 review
5. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

BA had confirmed that I could only check my luggage through to Dallas. For my connecting flight , I need to re-tag and then check in my luggage again to New Orleans.

Does this means that I need to exit the security area after custom inspection, go out/up to the landside to look for an American Airines counter to process my boarding pass as well as to tag and check in my luggage?

Penang Island...
7 posts
1 review
6. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Thanks , it’s clear to me now that i need to look for an American Airlines check in counter at the airport landside

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Just to be completely clear: once you clear US Customs, you ARE landside. There is an escalator and an elevator right after you exit Customs. AA desk & kiosks are just upstairs. You should be able to use a kiosk to check-in, then use the dedicated bag check queue to hand in your luggage. Instructions will be on the kiosk window.

BUT: do take an official printout of your complete itinerary. We have had success convincing check-in staff at the first airport to tag the bags to our final destination even though changing airlines. Again, even with a bag tagged to MSY, you must retrieve it at DFW for Customs.

Penang Island...
7 posts
1 review
8. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Thank you so much for clearing my doubt as this is my first trip to US.

It’s daunting enough to even think about the long queue at the custom and then having to expedite my luggage check in at the counter, just hope my 2.5 hours layover is sufficient for my connecting flight

Rancho Cordova...
2 posts
9. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

i will be arriving at DFW at 4:39 PM on Nov 26 on an AA flight from Guatemala City and leaving on an AA Flight to SMF at 6:59 PM (one ticket). Is 2hrs. and 20 minutes long enough to go thru customs and catch the flight to Sacramento? What is the process that I need to follow to minimize the time required to make this transfer?

Thanks for your help.

grayfin @aol.com

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport

Have you tried the AA phone app, your bearding pass might show up that way.

Reply to: Domestic transfer from international terminal at DFW airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted