We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Hi all

I'm here for a conference, staying in Victory Park, right across from the American Airways building Wed night-Sun afternoon. I flew in from Phoenix last night and had this morning available to me before the conference started later today.

Last night I walked a block to CVS for some wine rather than pay $15 for a glass of mediocre wine at the hotel and got me a couple of bottles of mediocre wine for $20 total for my 4 nights here. Don't judge - I am expecting to share and if not I will leave it behind. Or I will polish it off... I don't have to drive anywhere on this trip :)

First- your moist breezy weather is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't felt moisture in the air for MONTHS and have nearly forgotten what that felt like. well, it's fantastic! I think I even got a couple of raindrops while sitting on the patio (everyone else was sitting in the stuffy bar area- what the heck?!?!?!)

OK- so- that's not much of a TR so far, so here goes...

I'm up early due to all the construction and light- 6am. (FYI you all are over-doing the construction thing in this area.... just an outsider's perspective)

But apparently the construction folks are the only early risers. Almost NOTHING opens before 10 am. (OK I'm exaggerating, but seriously...I struggled to find anything to do before 10am)

I took a "walk-about" starting at 9am- diddling my thumbs for a bit before that here at the hotel. Grabbed a free green apple rather than pay $18 for an omelette here at the hotel and was on my way

First stop was the Fairmont Hotel- (not gonna lie- I grabbed a free water and enjoyed that) and walked around the lobby. I'm researching San Francisco and thought I'd check this one out as the Fairmont is on my list for a "pop-in" there. This one was nothing terribly special, but not bad either. The "trojan horse" at the check in/out was very interesting, and there were a lot of hoidy-toidies discussing lots of important things, so people watching was sort of fun.

Fountain plaza- nice place to sit and enjoy my hot tea. It's a business area, and if I worked here I'd not pass up walking around the water falling fountains.

Cathedral Guadalupe- undergoing restoration outside and cleaning of the stained glass inside, gorgeous none the less- and there is a nice self guided tour pamphlet to help you know what you are looking at. Definitely worth the 30 min stop.

Crow Asian Museum- outstanding collection of variety of Asian stuff from paintings, prints, sculptures, war things, etc; free, 3 floors but easily done in 45 min. The jade and ivory section is not there right now due to adjacent construction but I found it really interesting and actually enjoyed listening into all of the groups of student tours.

DMA- I went for the special exhibit of mirrors so paid $15 for that. I spent 45 seconds in a tiny room of mirrors with lit up pumpkins on the floor that seemed to go on forever above and all around me. I was alone with the museum guide and enjoyed my 45 seconds. That's my description, and I found it worthwhile because the rest of the museum was free and I enjoyed some of that as well. If I'd waited to go into the mirror room for a long time I'd not have been thrilled. As it was, I got there when it first opened and really enjoyed it. I liked the Reese area and the European exhibits as well. Great that this is free! If you like art- I'd say this is a treasure. We just went to DC for a vacation and really appreciate that when things like this are free, you don't feel like you have to see everything. Makes a difference in the appreciation/experience. I spent 1 1/2 hours here and enjoyed that a lot

Klyde Warren Park- I was starving by now and this place is lined with food trucks and hundreds of kiddos playing in the park (doesn't anyone go to school all day any more?!) I got a delicious greek salad and a nummy pork slider from a couple of different trucks- (all for $10) and watched the kiddos and relaxed before my heavy-topic conference.

Great walk around the area. Gorgeous day. Nice welcome to Dallas.

(I've been here once before for a conference and went to the 6th Floor- so was looking for something different)

I will be busy with my conference for 4 days, but will get back if I have anything interesting to add.

I may- as some of my fellow conference folks are talking about taking a night tour of the city, and on another night, riding a bull.... Not sure if I will join them, but that was NOT on my radar at all.... so who knows...

Also- flew into Love Field- Ubered for $22 with tip to hotel. Easy Peasy

15 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Oh dear...Did we forget to tell you that you could take DART from DAL to your hotel for $2.50? Well, maybe next time! Thanks for the report...It sounds like a great day.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

I just checked my Uber acount- it was 14.50 + $3 tip for the both of us to get here (I was confusing that with the one from home to sky harbor so wanted to correct that here) We liked the convenience and door to door service, so would likely do that again.

And No- I did not know about DART, in fact I specifically asked the hotel folks about that and they said nothing would take us here from the airport. They did mention that they have a $55 limo ride that was similar to a cab or Uber fare.. I knew that smelled funny and checked into that and went with Uber. I am now wondering if they are charging me for flushing the toilet.... Nice hotel, but I feel like they are poshy on the exterior and then ding you for everything on the interior.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

You have hit some of my favorite places and I enjoy your casual descriptions and great details. Thanks for sharing.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

We like Dallas as a National Conference city.

Thanks for your Trip Report.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Sounds like you had a great morning. Definitely thanks for the post.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
835 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Hi,

Thank you for the fun and detailed report.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Hi again

So last night a coworker and I went out for dinner and were headed out to Meso Maya Comida Y Copas, and for some reason got lost. Suddenly we saw the large sign for El Fenix first, right next door to our original destination........... well we considered that a "sign" so on our first day from Phoenix we went there........

I got the pork enchiladas with black beans and she got street tacos- both were solid mexican tasties. I'm picky for mexican and while I could have had a bit more heat from the "hot sauce" ( you have to ask for that rather than the regular) the chips were fresh and light and overall the whole dinner very tasty. And I can recommend their margarita as well- not too sour and no heartburn :)

Tonight we attempted to go to the Mavericks game. We got in line especially to see the pregame show but after 20 minutes of being the 2nd people in line waiting for a booth selling same day tickets to open up, NO MOVEMENT WHAT SO EVER happened, so we opted out and went for a walk. They had 8 windows open and only 2 for same day tickets. no one was at any other window- "season ticket holders' and 'will call' windows were all empty and apparently no one was willing to take our $$.

You don't just have a bad team here- you have bad business going on. And that's all I'll say about that.

I took my friend back to the Klyde Warren Park, picking up another conference attendee from Mexico on the way and enjoyed the lights both in the trees and on the buildings along the way chatting about our different experiences and cultures. It's lovely evening for a walk- but I was thinking you all were supposed to get a cold front moving in. Perhaps your weather liars went to the same school as ours- it was most definitely not a cool night. Nice and balmy and full of some moisture. Thank you again for that :)

We ended up at Shake Shack- I'd discovered the 'shroom cheeseburger in DC last year and this one did not disappoint. Also I don't usually get fries, but for some reason I just have to get them here. We shared those and a chocolate custard mix of fudge and toffee that was very tasty as well. NOMNOMNOM

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

Oh, boy- everything you describe sounds yummy!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

One more thing of notice- you do not have our non-smoking rules in place around your restaurants and public places in general. I had forgotten about this as I have not had any smoke cloud in my face upon entering or leaving a restaurant in a long time. I know there are many opinions about smoking- I am not a smoker and have really appreciated the ability to walk around food areas without the "cloud" at least 300 ft from a restaurant's entrance or on any public balcony in most of my travels as well as at home for many years now. Don't worry- I didn't give anyone a dirty look- I get it- your rules in your town, I had just forgotten about that.

BUT- I am really enjoying your breezy clean air blowing in. Back in Phx- this would be a massive dust cloud both horizontal and vertical with grit in your teeth (assuming you've smiled for a split second) and dust all over every bit of your car, home and body, inside and out

I'm already feeling the coolness settle in, so maybe I had my days wrong with the weather forecast. This is more like it! Again- thank you for that!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts

I am officially 0 for 2 attempts to do fun things this weekend (other than walk around which was actually nice on both nights)

Last night the Mavs game did not work out after waiting for 20 min in a non-moving line. We were particularly interested in the pregame show so that was out after waiting so long.

Tonight I was interested in the tree lighting ceremony and lights in general in downtown Fort Worth. I got a ticket for the Tre (train) and it literally took me asking 15 different people to figure out which side to stand on and then I waited for 30 min while the display board kept changing information. I assume it is arrival time for the next train. But that number kept changing from 50 to 29 to 35 to 45 to 50 and on and on.... it was really strange....

In the end, I just gave up and gave my ticket to someone else and went for another walkabout around the hotel area. I think I will just have to be happy with another christmas of lights on the saguaros. It's not even Thanksgiving so maybe that's just the cosmos' way of saying "TOO SOON" to me

After another nice walk around your well lit up city, I ended up at Mercat- a french bistro and had shrimp ravioli for dinner- fantastic jumbo shrimp and mushroom sauce on top of just "meh" ravioli but overall a good way to end my dining outside of the hotel.

I came back, got out my never used coat (with the tag still on- but not now- no Minnie Pearl here!) and enjoyed the last few hours up on the 16th floor pool area listening to the wind howl and shiver for the first time in forever.

I've really enjoyed your town the past few days. And after talking to my fellow convention goers- they have as well. Some did get into the Mavs game and enjoyed the experience (they were from Australia so didn't really care who won- sorry Mavs) Others went on a night drive and bar hopping tour, the gal I mentioned before did get to a place and ride a bull, and tonight went on a shopping spree to get some boots (she mentioned she has been saving up for this for months- and I think that was necessary from what she was describing price-wise)

I have felt very safe wondering around both day and night and have found your city to have very helpful and lovely folks.

Thanks for being so hospitable- See you next time!

Reply to: Mid Nov trip report- night/morning before seminar starts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted