We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week tour of Texas - trip report.

Bucks UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 week tour of Texas – trip report.

We had a great time in Texas - it should be renamed the friendly state... everywhere we went people just talked to us in the street - it was so cool.

Dallas – had 4 nights at the Fairmont – fabulous hotel – would definitely recommend staying here, good location, within walking distance of historic west end, 6th floor museum, McKinney Avenue trolley, Dart line. We did the touristy bits such as JKF – this was so interesting. Shopping at West Village – now that was a very nice area.

Ate at Dicks Last Resort – what a fun place – definately for the younger set, here we got dragged over to meet one guys parents as they loved the English accent and had never met a real live Brit…...

Went to Fort Worth for the day – fun day out, so enjoyed the historic stockyards – we do not have anything like this is in the UK. Enjoyed a drink in both Billy Bobs and the White Elephant Saloon

The only disappointment was the trains back to Dallas stopped so early, so could not really enjoy all evening in Fort Worth.

El Paso – 2 nights at the Camino Real. Good historic hotel (tiny swimming pool) downtown within walking distance of the border. Having never been to a border town before it was quite an experience. Had the best Mexican food here – we ate at La Nortena – fab margarita’s too.

Caught the El Paso – Juarez trolley bus tour for the day – whilst it was useful to see the drive into Mexico – I didn’t think this was value for money – maybe as we were out of season, but at all stops on the way – it was either just one restaurant or shop – apart form the final stop which was the market place. Also it took us 21/2 hours to get back into El Paso – we should have walked.

Took some advice given and ate at a hole in the wall, in Juarez, the best quesadilla and burritos ever, we ate like the locals and sat with them too!

Austin – 3 nights at the Habitat suites. Now I really liked it here, we had a large suite, the hotel was up opposite the Highland Mall – I shopped very well here. If you like peace and quiet this is the hotel for you, they have quiet time from 9pm to 9am. Complimentary bar and buffet between hours 5 – 7pm daily, great, also complimentary breakfast.

We picked up a car at Austin so were now more mobile, but when we found out it was only 50cents on the bus to downtown Austin, we left the car at the hotel. Taxi back was only $15.

I absolutely loved Austin – it’s laid back and relaxed way of life, everyone was so friendly, we were spoken to on the bus, in the street – something that never happens in the UK. There was a university football match when we were there - that was amazing to see all the town out partying by the stadium - we even got invited to join in with bbq drinks etc by someone we met on the bus..

Sixth street entertainment district – an experience everyone should try at least once – we did it 3 nights running….. Live music in every bar, restaurant, even some of the shops

We ate at Ironworks bbq – fantastic, decided to have bbq food again the next night –was tempted to go back to Ironworks – but instead went to Stubbs – fabulous.

Toured the capitol building, - the grounds seemed to be popular for wedding photos.

Walked to cheapo’s cd store then back to Ginger Man pub – funny we did not see anyone else walking – but it was OK.

Saw the bats from Congress – they did not really put on a show one night – but did the other.

Would like to thanks to the owner of Mitch’s gallery who let us use her computer so that we could book the next stage of our holiday.

San Antonio – 3 nights at the Radisson. This hotel was on the other side of the freeway, – still a good location – parked the car – no charges – so an advantage. It took just 10 minutes to walk to both the Alamo and Riverwalk. – again very safe. Also hotel had a free shuttle to just about anywhere you wanted to go.

The Alamo – this was so interesting and historic we spent an afternoon being educated here.

Spent the rest of our time walking on or near the Riverwalk, this was such a nice area, a little touristy, but great place, visited the mexican market - went shopping and chilled out. Took the riverwalk cruise – that was fun and good value at $7.50.

We ate at Rita’s, Joe’s Crab Shack, Pat O’Briens – all great places and very good value food.

We loved Austin and San Antonio so much we stayed there longer so we only had 1 night in Houston – and stayed on the outskirts – so didn’t really form much of an opinion of Houston – sorry. Really didn’t do too much here, as we had run out of time unfortunately – oh maybe next year!

We did stop on the drive from San Antonio to Houston at Schulenburg - to fill up with gas- and then had lunch at the bbq express – again another great feed..

In summary – had a fantastic time – fell in love with Texas, will definitely come back.

Segway Nation Dallas
City Tours, Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Discover Dallas Tours
City Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dallas City Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week tour of Texas – trip report.

It sounds like you had a lovely time and made the most of your visit. I'm glad you found us so friendly. I find us friendly, too. I have had surgery on my foot recently and it is amazing the number of strangers who ask me how I'm doing, how my recovery is going, and wish me well. I hope I have as nice a time in London at the end of the month--I love visiting the UK!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week tour of Texas – trip report.

Thank you for posting a trip report! It's always great to hear from people who visit.

I'm really glad you had such a nice trip! Come back soon!

3. Re: 2 week tour of Texas – trip report.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 19:15