We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upper Marlboro...
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Hi All,

Hubby and I are headed to Dallas, TX this weekend to see them face the Skins. We don't have much planned...the focus is really the game. *We're staying at the Magnolia Hotel*

Sat, Nov 17th-Plane lands at 11:30AM

Saturday-Dallas World Aquarium

Saturday-Texas Stadium Tour

Saturday evening/night- Either walk around the Galleria and catch a bite to eat OR find a nice bar to listen to music and eat.

Sunday, Nov 18th

GAME DAY-No other plans

Catch 9pm flight home

Based on this itinerary, do we need to rent a car? Are the Saturday activities reachable by train? The rental car for the two days is roughtly $50.00. Will we spend more if we decide not to rent a car?

Also, for Sat evening, what's the best entertainment idea: mall or dinner at a relatively casual bar/restaurant? What are some good recommendations of jazz/blues type establishments with good food?

Any advice welcomed and appreciated!!

Dallas Texas USA
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Get a car. Trust me you will be glad you did. Cabs are a not what you want, Our mass transit will not be helpful to you-where you are going. Get outside Dallas to see the real Texas. You will find alot of great restaurants in our city. Mexican food and BBQ are your best casual food bets. Enjoy.

Cowboys gonna whip up on Joe Gibbs and your team. Great Rivalry.

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
808 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Second the need for a car. We have virtually no mass transit. And I would rather find a bar/jazz place than walk around a mall. I am not up on the happening places in Dallas, but there are some reviewers who are. If no one else posts, seach the Dallas forum for what's hot there.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Texas Stadium is not reachable by train.

However, there are lots of other places to go in Dallas that are. Plus the Magnolia is near some nice restaurants and bars.

If you must go to a mall, take DART to Northpark- more interesting than the Galleria.

Or take DART up to CItyplace, then catch the Mckinney Avenue Trolley and ride around Uptown until you see something you want to check out. (Available 10 A- 10 P on weekends- you can take a cab back to the Magnolia).

So -if you get a car, use it for Texas Stadium but don't bother driving around downtown- walk, take the DART light rail or take a cab if you go someplace such as......

Brooklyn Jazz Cafe (www.brooklynjazzcafe.com)

Upper Marlboro...
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

Thanks for all of the great advice. I was leaning towards a rental car, so this feedback is great.

One other thing I'd LOVE to know...does anyone have experience with traffic going towards DFW after a Cowboys game? How long will the commute take? Or plane departs at 9PM, so I want to make sure we have plenty of time to get to the airport (game starts at 3:15PM).

Also, I'll check out Brooklyn Cafe. Sounds like my kind of place. :-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

To get to the airport from your hotel I'd allow for 30 minutes. There really shouldn't be much traffic on Sunday night. I always try to get to the airport an hour before departure.

Also, for mall shopping skip the Galleria and go to Northpark (if you must go to the mall) just off US 75 at Park Lane it is closer to your hotel and more interesting.

You might also go to the original Neiman Marcus downtown which is about a block from your hotel.

Here's some other suggestions for dinner/music:

Sambuca: 2120 McKinney Ave. (I think the trolley goes by here)

http://www.sambucarestaurant.com/

Cosmo Rouge: 407 N Bishop Street (south of downtown, interesting area called Bishop Arts District)

http://cosmorouge.com/

6. Re: My Itinerary..Do You Think I Need A Rental Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Dallas