We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

Charlotte, NC
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

I am deciding to move to either Dallas or Houston and need to make my decision FAST! I just returned from visiting both, but didn't have much time to look around the burbs' for nice neighborhoods in Dallas.

I think I liked the Houston area better, but the weather in Dallas was much nicer! In Houston, my husband and I really liked the Kingwood area (we like lots of big trees - and more than a postage stamp for a yard). Are there any areas similar around Dallas?

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

Oh lord, not again! here we go again with another round of Dallas v. Houston. This might be the oldest argument in Texas, so you'll be inundated with posts shortly. See the threads "relocating to Dallas from LA," and "Dallas v. Houston."

Much of your decision will undoubtedly be based on schools, jobs, access to the ocean, need to commute to work, etc....

For my 2 cents, Houston is more 'international' and 'cosmoplitan,' but the weather and traffic are some of the worst in the country.

Charlotte, NC
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

I want to be in the suburbs, but also need to be within a 1/2 hour of the Int'l Airport. I found some areas in Houston that are nice. What are some nice suburbs in Dallas?

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

Near the airport, you might look at Colleyville, especially the older parts with real trees and neighborhoods (zip is 76034). Some of the older areas of Colleyville have homes on large lots with lots of live oaks, etc... Great grocery store at the United Market Street. Another area might be the Woodland West area of Arlington just west of the UTA campus (zip is 76013). Lived here in grad school, and we rarely needed to leave the neighborhood unless we had a masochistic urge for chain restaurants and big box stores. We had large pecans around our townhouse, parks, library, good grocery store, etc...

Haven't lived there in a while, so I'm not terribly well-informed, but I do get back regularly, and was fairly impressed by these neighborhoods due to the 'lived-in' feel, abundant vegetation, etc...

Many of the 'nice' neighborhoods in the area are filled with generic mcmansions, and Stepford wives in their suburbans taking Tyler and Madison to soccer practice.

Charlotte, NC
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Suburbs of Dallas - or should I go to Houston??

:0) Thanks for your help!

Get answers to your questions about Dallas