We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Dallas

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,442 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to Dallas

Will be visiting Dallas in September first time there,have been to Houston & San Antonio which i really love.Dont really have a clue what to visit but one place i would love to see is Southfolk because i was a really big Dallas fan and also looking for great BBQ food so much help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Dallas

You're going to get lots of different opinions on this. The usual answer is Sonny Bryan's. Especially the one on Inwood. Frankly I'm not a fan of the place. If I'm taking people from out of town for barbeque I'd go to the Red, Hot, and Blue on Central Expressway. Baker's Rib is a fairly decent place.

If you can muster the time and transportation I'd drive out to Hard Eight BBQ out in Coppell. Actually fairly near DFW airport. Probably the best "Texas" bbq in the area.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Dallas

So agree with the Hard Eight recommendation....it's such great barbecue and the atmosphere is unique as well since you select your own meat...love their cabrito.

TX1

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Dallas

Southfork isn't actually in Dallas. It's about 25 miles north of Dallas in a little community known as Parker. You can still head out there and take a tour -- foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.cfm…

I would skip Red Hot and Blue for BBQ and go with a local place. I have family who worked at Sonny Bryan's for decades and it's probably some of the best.

Arlington, tx
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Dallas

I love Red Hot and Blue (my husband get takeout from there way too often) but it's not authentic TX BBQ. It's TN style. The original Sonny Bryan's is awesome and quite an experience. It's only open at lunch (mon-sat I think) and they sell until they run out of meat. It's located in an old one room schoolhouse and you see day laborers eating next to people who stepped out of limos.

I've never been to South Fork but I've heard it's a bit of a tourist trap.

You need to have some great Tex Mex while you're here if you're into food. Even though I was born in Dallas I don't live in Dallas proper right now so I'm sure others can recommend places

How long will you be here? Are you looking for arts, history, culture, tourist hotspots I can give more ideas.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,442 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Dallas

Thanks for your quick responses,Mom i will be in Dallas just 4 days and 3 nights i am more into the sightseeing and history thing and most likely i will be staying around the DWF airport area or Plano will venture in the downtown Dallas area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Dallas

If you stay in Plano, it isn't too far to Frisco, Tx. and Randy White's BBQ. Good stuff!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,442 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Dallas

Thanks for everyones help.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Dallas

Railhead BBQ in Fort Worth is supposed to be the shiznit - I have not been there yet as I just moved to the area but did alot of research on Texas BBQ.

If you have time, may want to check it out

Texas
Level Contributor
247 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Dallas

Sonny Bryan's is good. However, if you end up staying on the Fort Worth side of the airport and would like a little more of a Western flair, you may want to check out the Fort Worth Stockyards (http://www.fortworthstockyards.org), and downtown Fort Worth (http://www.sundancesquare.com). I must admit I am partial to the Fort Worth side!!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Dallas

Texas Monthly published it's list of the best BBQ places in Texas in the June issue. Here's the link. Includes a map link. www.texasmonthly.com/2008-06-01/feature10.php