We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

northwest
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

Now that American Airline has changed our entire flight times I am looking at 6 hours in Dallas airport. Any ideals on what to do with that time? In the airport or close by? Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

DFW or Love? If you're in DFW, the city of grapevine is nearby with their small downtown or Grapevinemills. I wouldn't chance anything else except N. Arlington due to the traffic. You could see the Ballpark in Arlington and the new Cowboys stadium.

Love field has more options. You could go downtown, uptown, etc.

So what do you want to do? What time is the departure and arrival? Which airport?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

If you have an interest in art, both Dallas and Ft. Worth have excellent museums. You could taxi in and spend a couple of hours at either the Kendall in Ft. Worth or the MOA in Dallas, provided rush hour traffic wouldn't be a factor. That's the only thing that could lure me out of DFW (or Love) with the attendant possibility of missing the connection. You might be better off with a good book.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

You could ride Skylink over to Terminal D- there's quite a bit more shopping, eating and art over there.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

Don't leave the airport. The highways around DFW can back up if there is a wreck and then there is a possiblity you would miss you flight.

Dallas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

I would personally enjoy dining over in Terminal D. It's very new with wonderful restaurants and is even suppose to have a spa (though not sure if it's open yet). One of my all time favorite restaurants, Reata's (reata.net), is there with legendary Texas cuisine. Not inexpensive but definitely worth trying even if you only try appetizers, drinks or desserts! Make sure to try the 'smoked quail with jalepeno cheddar grits with molasses bbq glaze' and the 'desert tacos with caramelized bananas and chocolate gravy' if you get the chance. La Duni is another fav restaurant of mine in Dallas with Latin cuisine, delicious desserts, and excellent drinks.

Other options include visiting the well loved and gigantic Bass Pro Shop (basspro.com) located next to the Grapevine Mills shopping mall. There you can find many 'outlet-like' stores including Neiman Marcus Last Call, Saks Off 5th, Nike, Sun & Ski Sports, and the very kid friendly Rainforest Cafe.

Grapevine and Irving (Cowboy's new stadium) are towns very close to the airport and would be safe bets. Get the number of a cab because this area isn't readily served by public transportation and renting a car would prob not make sense. Arlington would be pushing it on time but doable if careful. There you can check out the Rangers stadium, 6 Flags, Wet'N Wild, Cavender's Boot City (for any western wear shopping/souvenirs), and much more. Dallas isn't an obvious place to visit but has tons of attractions worthy of a repeat trip. Hope that helps!

Blurb on Terminal D:

hksinc.com/news/…20DFW.pdf

Article on what to do during a layover at DFW:

www.expedia.com/daily/airports/dallas.asp

6. Re: What to do with a 6 hour layover in Dallas airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 21:21