We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abbotsford
Level Contributor
68 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
car rentals

We hope to fly into Dallas/Fort Worth at the end of April and tour Southern states for 3 weeks. Have been checking out car rentals and rates range from just over $900 to $1600 for a basic compact. If this is the case we will rethink our plans. Last time we did this we paid in the range of $400. Any ideas as to why the exhorbitant prices ?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals

You can compare all the rental companies side by side at

http://www.bnm.com/index.html

Looks like Enterprise has the best rates. I would try calling the location directly and see if they can do better, or give you upgrades or something. If you don't have to rent from the airport (say, your hotel has a shuttle), try picking up from an off-airport location for better rates, too.

Also, are you dropping the car at another location, or returing back to DFW? One way rentals are usually alot more expensive.

Abbotsford
Level Contributor
68 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals

Thanks for suggestions. We would be returning car to Dallas. We would not arrive until late so would get a hotel/motel near the airport and the same when we return as we have an early morning flight. Any suggestions for budget type hotel with car rental facilities ?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals

It's been a long time since I was near the DFW airport, so I can't help. Hopefully a local will respond to you.

But normally it's the larger hotels, like a Marriott or Hyatt that have the car rentals inside.

Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals

www.enterprise.com/car_rental/location.do…

Checked Enterprise in Grapevine, TX for Apr 1 through 21, list economy $533 to full size $627 for the 21 day period. They will bring the car to you. Grapevine/Irving area along highway 114 is just north of DFW airport. There are may moderately priced hotels some with shuttle service.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rentals

Sometimes a monthly rental is less expensive than three weeks, so you might want to look at the rates for a month to compare.

Less expensive hotels on the northern side airport entrance are a Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Super 8 (I think--funny how you pass something every day and then can't remember for sure).

Abbotsford
Level Contributor
68 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rentals

Many thanks - will look into renting off airport and check out the hotels you mention.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rentals

Hi to all, i was searching for the same thing and i've found this topic. I'm going to have a month in Dallas in August and need a car too. It's the first time i'm going to rent one, would be better to request it now or to find it when i will be there? Probably there are some mistakes in the message, i'm sorry.

Thank you

Vittorio

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rentals

Any reply by who has experience?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,563 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rentals

The rates can be different in different cities around Dallas/Fort Worth. We live in the city of Dallas, but when we rent a minivan for a trip, we go into Garland where the tax is a little bit less. I'm guessing that is the same case with finding a rental car in Grapevine.

It's a good idea to have some places in mind before you arrive. Making a reservation is a good idea if you want a particular car.

My husband has used hotwire.com to rent cars in various cities - sometimes it comes up as a better deal.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rentals

Hotwire 4/30 - 5/21 Compact

El Paso $455.42

San Antonio $514.88

Dallas (DFW) $946.79