We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

After searching a lot around Dallas area and having found only bad commented extended stay hotels in my price range i'm starting to think about an alternative city/town where to spend my month in Texas...

Could it be possibile to find better deals outside Dallas? Any suggestion?

I'm guessing a max price of 1500$/month and so far the best place i found is Days Inn in Plano according to the comments on this website. I'm considering further distances too.

Thank you

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

I think Extended Stays get bad comments because they are low on service (low on price) - like they don't change your sheets and towels often. You have to be self-sufficient.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

It's not only a matter of cleanliness, e.g. it seems like most extended stays have "suites" with no separated bathroom, and that's a thing we're not used to here... Am I right? I think for 1500$/month it's not a good thing... I found corporate housing could be a great alternative but in Dallas rates are high, maybe in some smaller towns it could be better.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

I have never stayed at a hotel anywhere in the US where there wasn't a separate bathroom. In the UK I've stayed in rooms that had sinks or showers in the room (but never a toilet as there's always at least a water closet), and didn't like them at all.

Are you sure you're reading the room description correctly? It may be that the room descriptions you're reading don't state "separate bathrooms" because that's the norm and people expect there to be a separate bath (we say bathrooms but the term includes toilets, too).

And while Plano is north of Dallas it's not a huge distance, and you can do anything you want to in Dallas from Plano.

Have you checked this place out? http://www.suburbanhotels.com/hotel/TXA40

A lot of folks don't think of going to Grand Prairie, but it's a nice area, not as nice as Plano, but also not as expensive. I don't like Days Inn's properties (as you mentioned in Plano), but that's a personal preference.

Extended stay hotels generally only have housekeeping once or twice a week. I don't know why that would bother anyone; very few of us have maid service at home every day.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

I hadn't ever seen that hotel before and it doesn't look bad. Thank you.

Is that a safe area?

I said about bathrooms because of some pics i saw here and there.... Much better if that isn't so!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

Have you checked any of the Staybridge properties? They are owned by Holiday Inn. I have stayed in one in Denver many times, and found it to be just about perfect. There are several locatead araound Dallas...Plano, Addison, airport, one coming in Irving. I don't know what the rates are, but sometimes all it takes is a phone call to receive a good deal. I found out that the one where I stayed offered a special rate to anyone staying there who had family in the nearby hospital...it never hurts to ask.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

Have you tried the Ritz-Carlton near Downtown Dallas?

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

Are you kidding? I'm sure Ritz is not within my grasp :\

I was looking for something cheaper outside, that's the opposite

houston
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

Can you give a little background as to what your needs will be for a month? Are you coming for work, extended visit with family, just visiting, and if so, where? This will give us a better idea as to an ideal locale for you. Do you want a lot of restaurants in the vicinity? The Dallas Uptown area is a lot of fun with a lot of things to do. I would go on Craigslist and you can probably find a sublet for a month with all the comforts of home.

Rovigo
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

As I wrote in other topics I'm having a month in Dallas from August 1 to august 31, arriving at DFW and meeting a family from McKinney. After that we don't need to be close to them. I'm coming there to have a trip around the state and to learn something about studies since i'm in the 3rd year of an engineering degree.

I didn't know about craiglist, i will give it a look

Thank you

Nice persons here ;)

houston
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TX trip, where to stay outside Dallas

If you are a 3rd year student, you probably want to be around those your age. I still recommend the Uptown area. There is a lot within walking distance, a lot of restaurants, a lot of places to hang out. Are you attending SMU for your engineering or University of Texas? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but are you coming from overseas, maybe Italy?