We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TENNESSEE
4 posts
Save Topic
moving to dallas

Big d..sounds great...but my question is..if I move to Irving but want to work in Dallas...how is the traffic? would I drive all the way into Dallas or would it be like I would drive to a certain point then use the light rail?? Please let me know. Thx :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to dallas

That would entirely depend upon where you live in Irving and where you worked in Dallas. There are two stops in Irving for the Trinity River Express and the train runs to the far west side of downtown. You would then need to get to where you're working from that point either by walking or by getting a bus.

There is a planned rail expansion into the northern areas of Irving, but I don't have any idea what the time table is for that line opening.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to dallas

Hi, Puggie. My question is why do you want to live in Irving? Dallas is an older, established city with large trees, many nice neighborhoods in which to live and all the amenities of a large city such as museums, a symphony, ballet, great restaurants, etc. With no offense to Irving intended, why would you want to live so far from your work in a non-descript suburb? Do you have family in Irving?

Dallas has the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) which is light-rail and buses that cover the city's transportation. You can probably look on their website and see if there is public transportation that would fit your needs. Otherwise, it's driving on a congested freeway along with a million other people just to get back and forth to work.

TENNESSEE
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to dallas

thanks for getting back to me...I chose Irving because I have 4 children. I heard that I should not send my children to a Dallas school system. I have family all over the Dallas area, Mesquite area, Denton area and the Desoto area. My aunt works for Dallas school system and she was the one who said that. But I am not sure if I will be working in the Dallas area. I say Dallas because it is a big city and that seems like the most common thing to do. Do you know of any good jobs to get on with down in any of those areas that is not a hassle to get on with. Something like Comcast cable, UPS? Please let me know. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to dallas

I'm moving to dallas from san francisco. I've lived in new york, los angeles, and now sf. can anyone recommend the best neighborhoods for living, close to shops, restaurants, and with interesting people? would like older houses with some character or architectural integrity -- not looking for nouveau chateaus, mansionettes or heavy-duty right-wing attitudes... thank you!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to dallas

Every neighborhood has heavy-duty right wingers. They're in California, too, and in Boston, and in New York. But like the heavy-duty right wingers in those areas, you just talk to them about non-political ideas. Same with heavy-duty left wingers. Of course, we're southerners so we tend not to talk about items likely to rile folks up.

There's lots of info throughout these forums on neighborhoods and schools, but in terms of neighborhoods with more urban aspects then Old East Dallas neighborhoods, Mockingbird Station, State-Thomas and Oak Cliff are the more likely places to meet some of your criteria.

Regarding schools: My kids and many others have been extremely successful in DISD schools. My local high school has three national merit scholars and averaged $38K per kid in scholarships awarded this year. There are lots of issues with schools and there are issues in all cities and environments. Just because one person says something negative about a school district doesn't make it so.

I hope both of you will enjoy living here.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to dallas

o.t. -

Look at East Dallas for Prairie style and Arts and Crafts.

M-Streets and Hollywood/Santa Monica for Tudor.

Ranch homes (and various others) in Lakewood and Casa Linda.

Small wooden frame homes (all unique) in Little Forest Hills.

Interesting large homes in Forest Hills - a few Spanish style.

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to dallas

thank you both for the reco's! I'll begin exploring in those areas immediately.

Dallas
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to dallas

i don't know if i'm too late, but i just wanted to add that if you're looking for school districts, the best ones are Colleyville, Coppel, and Plano

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to dallas

pepper,

you didn't mention kessler park or bishop arts, two neighborhoods folks have recommended checking out.

do you have info / a pov on those?

thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: moving to dallas

Kessler Park is nice and full of large, older homes. It's a quiet neighborhood. A friend of mine remodeled a home there, w/in a week of moving in, their home was broken into. Now...my friend is spacey and all their tools (from the remodel) were in the garage. They didn't ask for it, but I think they were "cased" since there was so much activity going on there. It's quick and easy to get into downtown from Kessler.

Bishop Arts has more of a mix and the actual neighborhood can be kind of barrio/young professional mix. This area is very similar to Old East Dallas. There are a few restaurants, etc in Bishop Arts, but not nearly the convinience of the others areas I mentioned. I've looked in Bishop Arts, but can't stand the loud Tejano on weekends.

What area are you moving from in SF? Are trying to find something similar?