We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area of Dallas to Stay?

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Area of Dallas to Stay?

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be in Dallas for the Big 12 basketball tournament and a concert the weekend of March 10th or so. I was wondering what would be a good area to look for a hotel in? We'd like to be where most of the "action" is ... restaurants, shopping, entertainment, etc. We don't necessarily HAVE to be very close to American Airlines arena AT ALL. Just wondering where most would stay in Dallas if in for the week/weekend. Thanks so much for all your help!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

What's the price range you're looking for?

There are lots of hotels around North Park Center with varying price ranges. For the most part standards like a Residence Inn, Courtyard, Doubletree, etc. There's a Bradford Suites at Lincoln Park (across from NorthPark) which would be a nice, reasonable place to stay. From that area you're in reasonable proximity to Greenville (lots of clubs and restaurants) and easy to get to the AA Center via DART so you wouldn't have to pay parking fees. Most folks pay $20 to park at AA. I know the area and always street park, but there are only about 20 of us that do that.

There's a new boutique hotel in Dallas in north Oak Cliff called The Belmont Hotel that is getting rave reviews. It's in a revitalizing area of the city, so it isn't an impressive drive getting to it. It's like folks who come to viist me and haven't been in this part of Dallas always think I live in the projects when they drive to my house. Do a web search for Belmont Dallas and you'll find photos.

The Belmont will also have convenient access to the AA Center (they'll drive you to the train station or probably even to AA as it's very close) and you can try the restaurants/clubs in the Bishop Arts District. Favorites of mine are Gloria's, Vitto's, Hattie's, and Tillman's.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

Thank you for your reply ... cost isn't the biggest issue I guess ... I was hoping to bid an area on Priceline for my time there. A list of the areas and hotels can be found here if you wouldn't mind looking --

…ezboard.com/…

We'd just like to be in an area where we're close to most things to do and could walk around some ... yet, that's not a huge issue either as we'll have a car and could drive to different areas.

Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

I'd bid on the downtown Dallas section. The others are all standard lower-end (for the most part) motels/hotels. I don't know how Priceline works, but I wouldn't want to stay at a Days Inn if I had a choice. So if you can pick the area and then your bid determines the hotel, then it looks like you wouldn't wind up with anything really bad in the downtown area.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

Yep, I'm with ChrystinP- if you are going to do any walking around, downtown would the place. We aren't big on walking in Texas but at least down there you stand a chance! ;-)Plus, as you have probably read in previous threads, there are lots of bar and restaurant choices, plus the DART light rail to take you to other areas to explore, including North Park for shopping.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

Such good timing for ChrystinP's suggestion of the Belmont- there's an excellent article in today's Sunday Life section of the Dallas Morning News about the Belmont. Now I'll have to get over there and take a look at things- the pictures are terrific.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

Thanks folks, I really appreciate it! Our concert is out at the Nokia Theatre ... anyone seen a concert there? Seeing David Gray ...

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

Not a concert, but I saw Scooby Doo! I was expecting a rather boring evening until I walked in and saw an oasis in a desert of children's activities,....a bar! The Heinekens made the play very entertaining.

It's a great venue for a concert. Great acoustics. Beware of the two outer sections. View of the stage would be limited there.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area of Dallas to Stay?

As much as I am into music, I've never yet been to the Nokia. The Belmont would actually be a good location to get to the Nokia, as well as the AA Center.