We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

I'm not sure whether disjointed TR's posted on each local forum are the best way to cover our trip .... but as we started in Dallas, I will start here .... you can follow our story through Galveston and onto MS and LO if you wish to jump from forum to forum.

After a brief stop at LAX we arrived in Dallas, direct from Brisbane, Australia. It's a long haul and, as expected, we felt pretty wrecked. Finding the shuttle buses to the rental car area was very easy - even for the partly brain dead!

After a practice drive around the car park, to re-acquaint ourselves with driving on the right/'wrong' side of the road we were off, with very clear directions to the Belmont Hotel on Fort Worth Ave researched previously via TA, google maps etc. I had earlier posted concerns about hiring a car off-site from DFW - but we were very glad we decided against that idea. Our Alamo vehicle served us well and we had no issues either on the road or in the collection & return process. Just a word for Aussies and other OS travellers not familiar with US insurance conditions etc. Make sure you know whether your travel insurance covers rental car excess insurance AND liability cover. We knew our excess was covered if the car was damaged, but weren't sure about liability cover, so had to err on the side of caution and pay the extra.

We found the Belmont Hotel and parked in the free parking area up beyond Smoke, the on-site restaurant.

This was easy and the car remained safe. In fact we chuckled to see a parking valet sprinting across the road to retrieve a customer's car from the shopping centre car park, and were glad we went with the free option.

We loved the night time view of downtown Dallas from the Belmont (review posted) and ate at Smoke. Unfortunately I can't really recommend the cool reception when enquiring re booking a table, or the food which made us both ill. However, to be fair we maybe overdid the Texan BBQ flavoors and sauces for our first night. All in all the Belmont proved a very good choice.

Next morning we set off into the city, pleasantly surprised that it was so easy to park near the 6th Floor Museum. We chose the $4 car park at the back, and posted our money in the slots according to the parking space number. A curious system I have never seen before!

Our main reason for a stopover in Dallas was to view the JFK museum and Dealey Place etc, and I highly recommend it. It is difficult to say that a memorial to a great man and such tragic circumstances is a 'must do' experience, but the museum is very well done, and the self guided audio tour both respectful, reflective, informative and interesting. I was moved by some of the original video footage, and we watched every movie - but not necessarily in the exact order. It was fine to move on and come back when the movie started over - rather than joining in mid-cycle.

We had a snack in the museum cafe across the road, which also sold a range of souvenirs. A wander around the grassy knoll area also provided plenty of photo opportunities.

Brief as it was, our time in Dallas was done, apart from a glimpse of the city streets as we found our way onto the interstate that would take us south towards Houston. (next TR posted on Galveston forum)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Thanks for posting you trip report. I love reading them.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Hey - nice to know someone is reading .... even while all of America is still asleep! I hope to post one TR each day so stay tuned over the next week or so.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Enjoyed your report. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share your experiences - both good and woefully bad.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! The Belmont view of the Dallas skyline is incredible and worth the visit. I am also estatic to hear you visited the Sixth floor Musuem! Great pick!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Always lovely to read experiences in our city, and especially results of recommendations. Thank you!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really do think the Sixth Floor Museum does a great job.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

Hi Yambagal,

I'm glad you found your car rental quick and easy. Sorry to hear that the food at Smoke made you ill. As for the Belmont, it's too spartan and the rooms too small for my taste, but the view is wonderful.

We forget how important the Kennedy assassination is to people. Having lived with these sites my entire life, I take them for granted, and forget their significance. Thanks for reminding me.

I will look for your trip reports on the other forums.

Thanks.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 21:26
Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

We plan to head to south east USA in March next year (did parts of the south west this year) for a road trip and we think we will commence in Dallas. Your trip report is a great starting point.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

thanks Yambagal - very useful post. We are flying in to Dallas for a three day stop there in September, talking advantage of the new Qantas flights there.

cheers

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: One day in Dallas.

When I visit Dallas, I plan on visiting the 6th floor museum. Glad you enjoyed it.