We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

hello all

Myself and wife from United kingdom will be visiting Dallas / Fort Worth in September 2011.

we are looking for a non-chain no-frills steak house as used and recommended by locals.

Just want a good steak at a good price without having to dress up

regards

paul

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

How "not dressed up" do you mean?? Are you talking shorts and flip-flops or jeans/closed toe shoes minimum?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

hi,

I mean I like to dress in smart casual clothes due to the heat, shorts and t-shirts

Not shirt and trousers/jeans as I wear those all year round at work

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

The best steaks are going to be at a nicer steakhouse where you have to dress up and pay for the service, etc.

I can recommend the Carne Asada at Mi Cocina - my husband and son get it all the time at a lower price point (around $20) and a casual setting. There are quite a few locations around Dallas.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

I really like Nick and Sam's. It's a little dressier--but they just opened a casual patio restaurant close by. There is also Bob's Chop House and YO Steakhouse.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

Within Dallas or Fort Worth, IF you're willing to do lunch rather than dinner and assuming they have lunch service, you may be able to dress down at some of the better steakhouse - when you arrive, call to verify. Even so, at minimum, you'd probably want/need to upgrade to a collar'd shirt.

Otherwise, if you're willing to drive to more relaxed, outlying towns, Ponder Steakhouse comes to mind - in Ponder, just west of Denton.

Definitely dress-up at night, Lonesome Dove in Fort Worth's Stockyards allows shorts during the lunch service. The menu isn't as varied as dinner, but if you're concentrating on steak options, they will cut your steak to order the same as at dinner. (The wild boar ribs (lunch or dinner app) are terrific.)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

You'll want to visit The Stockyards in Ft. Worth. While you're there try out H3 Ranch restaurant and Booger Red's Saloon next door www.h3ranch.com/ During hot months it's common to see people in shorts and shirt. Good steaks and other food and drink in a good atmosphere. Just around the corner is Cattlemen's which is also good where casual clothes shouldn't be a problem. http://www.cattlemenssteakhouse.com/index.htm

Edited: 17 June 2011, 18:52
Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

I recommend Villas Grill at 137 S Main Street, Irving, TX 75060. Their phone number is 972-259-2939. Lunch is Monday through Friday 11am to 3pm. Dinner is Tuesday through Saturday 5pm to 10pm. You will have to call them regarding Sunday, as I don't remember.

They offer Brazilian style Open Fire Grilled Steak with seven other grilled meats and numerous sides served to your table. You start by serving yourself at the salad bar buffet.

This is a great quality meal and about one-third the price of the well known big chain Brazilian steakhouses. This style is called Brazillian Churrasco.

The atmosphere is casual but crowded at peak times. The place is Bring your own bottle. They serve Starbucks coffee.

They are located just three blocks from the South Irving Transit station so you can ride there on the Trinity Railway Express train and walk just less than 5 minutes.

Enjoy.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 00:59
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

Yes, but Nick & Sam's, Bob's, etc., are not going to let you walk in wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. Cattleman's in Fort Worth might let someone in dressed extremely casually, they're a much more casual environment (but not cheap) and they might slide you in quickly and hide you somewhere.. However, I'd be willing to dress a bit more formally for a great dinner. If I were willing to dress appropriately Bob's would be my choice. Otherwise, why not just grab a steak at the Waffle House?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

La Hacienda Ranch (local chain) turns out an excellent mid-range steak. Shorts and tee would not be a problem at any hour.

I'm know there Mexican options that would fit the bill and give you a tasty perspective into other flavors. Hopefully, someone will provide pointers to those?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for a local non-chain no-frills steak house

There are so many options in Dallas!

In the West End Historical District you have YO Ranch (shorts and flip flops welcomed) and Hoffbrau Steak House is delicious as well.

In the West Village you have Texas Land and Cattle. The great thing about Dallas is almost EVERY restaurant has GREAT steak on the menu.

Get answers to your questions about Dallas