We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Couple in our 50s celebrating an anniversary August 12 and 13. Have dinner and a bed and breakfast schesduled.

Need suggestions for entertainment; jazz bar, piano bar, live music venue. Open to just about

anything except country. Would really appreciate suggestions.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

What area will you be staying in?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

I was going to suggest Poor David's Pub but both acts that weekend are country. How about the Brooklyn Jazz Cafe? Of the All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum?

http://brooklynjazzcafe.com/

http://www.allgoodcafe.com/

Edited: 07 August 2011, 17:03
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

La Grange might have something if Deep Ellum is convenient.

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Staying at a well regarded BnB on Allen St. In uptown.

Thought about Poor Richards Pub. Might still be an option. Never been to All Good Cafe. Would a 59

year old couple feel comfortable there?

We love the vibe of Austin and heard similar things of All Good Cafe.

Last night read about a jazz performance they are having at the House of Blues on the 12th. Called and the girl with whom I spoke didn't know much about it and their website didn't eveen say who

Is playing. I'll probably go down this week and check out something on it. Just a bit leery of it and Brooklyn Jazz. Had heard Brooklyn had gotten a bit ghetto lately from some of the reviews on Yelp.

You ladies are really good at this. I appreciate your help.

This is our

40th anniversary and I'm trying to put together two special days. Got dinner at Nonna for Friday night. Probably do dinner I Grapevine or Denton Saturday night. Maybe Ruggieiri's in Colleyville. Probably catxh Bye Bye Birdie at the Campus Theatre in Denton on Saturday.

We'll probably catch the afternoon show at Medeivel Time's on Saturday. Never actually been.....imagine that.

I'm a bit of a foodie so the restaurant selections are fairly easy for me. The entertainment portion for Friday is just throwing me a bit of a loop. Apparently August is a dead time for cultural events in Dallas.

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Melody Guy at Poor David's Pub and 1100 Springds at the Granada look like options. Didn't want to go country but may have to.

I'll look at Allgood Cafe.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Swoon...Nonna - love it!!!

The thing about this type of country music you're finding is that it isn't good ole boy k-whip. It's more modern country and more fun.

At the All Good - on the 13th, they have the Royal Rhythmaires - it's more R&B/Rock&Roll - almost swing; almost bigband. Might be a good option. You won't feel out of place - the owner of the All Good is in his fifties (I'm pretty sure).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Also see if The Kessler Theater has something you'd like. I've been wanting to eat at Mesa nearby on Jefferson.

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

Looked at the Kessler and they only have a Latin sound band. I love latin, flamenco, and similar music but all the band's. Music is in Spanish on Youtube. My Spanish is limited to two years in high school and words I won't repeat.

Saw Melody Guyls youtube stuff and thatks why we're considering it. Couldn't go a full session of old country but the progressive stuff is ok.

We live in Denton with all kinds of great music and regularly attend shows In Austin so we're pretty open minded about our music.

Thanks for the help, pepper.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

The All-Good is frequented by all ages, no big deal to be in your 50-60s. No reason for you to be uncomfortable. We go there fairly often. Mike (the owner) is older, and runs a really nice restaurant. It's like an old-fashioned diner, with standard glass windows, so you can see what's going on before you enter. It's not a club, where they want everything dark and folks drinking. They promote music, and there's a small stage in a corner of the restaurant. Seats about 50 or so, as well as some patio type seating. We like to sit at a booth when we visit. The food is really good, too, but not a special meal type place. Basically a diner with music.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need suggestion for entertainment venue.

just so long as it isn't too "ghetto"...

Get answers to your questions about Dallas