We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International connection at DFW

London, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
International connection at DFW

Hello I am coming in form LHR with BA to DFW with onward connection to CANCUN on American. Schedule gives me 2hrs from arrival in DFW and departure to CANCUN, does anyone know if this will work or is it too tight? I recently went LHR-MIAMI-CANCUN with BA and American and that was spectacularly successful with bags checked straight through, will that be the case with DFW does anyone know?

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International connection at DFW

You should be fine. The new international terminal is very fast and and everything is very close.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International connection at DFW

I have no idea why, but there is no international transit system at DFW. You'll have to go through immigration, collect your bags and go through US customs, hand the bags off outside customs to be sent to your connecting flight, then go through security to get to your connection. Two hours should be plenty of time. We usually make it out of DFW in less than an hour after arriving from Europe.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International connection at DFW

As everyone has said, two hours is sufficient and enough time for you to get a meal or do something else at the airport, if your arrival flight does not get pushed back.

Be aware that there is only one checkpoint (the first of three in the terminal) that is not using body scanners almost all the time. If you plan to opt-out for a pat down, it takes a few minutes longer. If you are a smoker then you may want to make a quick dash outside as there will not be any area in the airport to smoke, unless you are an Admiral's Club member, or pay $50 per person to join the AC on your travel day.

Terminal D has several great restaurant options and some nice shopping, too. Both the Admiral's Club and the other airlines' club are close together, if you're a member or have a platinum AMEX card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International connection at DFW

I too am asking the same question. Arriving in Dallas at 1350 by Qantas from Sydney. Wishes to go on to Phoenix AZ.; next flight being at 1630 by American. Is this sufficient time, considering that I will be subjected in all probability to extra scrutiny being Muslim and holding a Malaysian passport with the dreaded 3 letter word beginning with "b" as part of my name! Grateful for any feedbacl\k. Cheers. Hajijohn

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International connection at DFW

not sure what the 3 letter word is?!

last time we came into dfw we had almost 2hours queuing for passport control :-(

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International connection at DFW

Thank you for the feedback. I can now see that my plan has no leeway for anything going wrong. I I have decided to overnight Dallas and take the plane to Phoenix the next day. By the way, I was referring to "bin" being par of my name.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International connection at DFW

hajijohn,

You might want to ask this on the Air Travel forum where there are many more with knowledge of your situation. I would think you could stick with your original plan and if you miss the connection and it is ticketed through on one ticket the airline would be responsible for any necessary layover unless it is due to weather.

Good luck.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International connection at DFW

While the airline would be responsible for getting you on the next available flight, they would not normally be responsible for "any necessary layover" unless the delay were something that was the airlines "fault," such as a mechanical issue with a plane. In that case, they normally give you a food and hotel voucher (if necessary) and sometimes a voucher for a cab/transit. In DFW the places they give you hotel vouchers to all run shuttles so you don't need a transit voucher.

I have had circumstances occur where they treated me better than they were legally required to, but it's always best to know the rules/regulations for unforeseen circumstances.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 19:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International connection at DFW

Thank you all for the assistance.

10. Re: International connection at DFW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:16