We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another young professional relocating

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KC
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another young professional relocating

I am a 30ish young professional woman relocating to Dallas in the next couple of months. I will most likely be working in the area between I-35E and 75S. I'm having trouble getting the 'vibe' of neighborhoods online.

Here are some things about me. I have a large dog. No children. I want to live in a neighborhood. Someplace I can walk to restaurants, markets, dry cleaner, etc. I don't mind driving to work but I want to LIVE in the neighborhood I live in. I don't want a high rise apartment (second floor is the highest I want to go with the pooch) Proximity (less than 15 min drive) to White Rock Lake dog park a plus. I'd prefer to rent as close as possible to the neighborhood I will be buying in and will be looking to buy within 3-6 months of moving down.

I would like to live in the East Dallas area if possible. M-Streets, Lakewood, Lower Greenville, Uptown if I'm stretching. Areas close to walking trails and parks are definite pluses.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure you all know that feeling comfortable in your home is key to relocating. I've been to Dallas a number of times and always been stuck out in Las Colinas or Irving. That is not the Dallas I want to live in.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another young professional relocating

There's actually another topic just like yours I saw. There were a lot of suggestions in that one. Might want to look through that research as well.

Are you single? Wanting to be around a lot of activites.

Are you absolutely stuck with the decision on area? If not, Grapevine is a great place to be.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another young professional relocating

Also,

Southlake, Lewisville, and Highland Park are great areas to be in.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another young professional relocating

Sounds like you have a good handle on whereyou'd like to live...and all mentioned areas would be good for you. If you want to rent for while before committing, try a Power Property - they are scattered around East Dallas and I believe they are big dog friendly.

Lower Greenville/M-Streets would have more life in the neighborhood. You could rent a duplex. There's Whole Foods for your groceries, many restaurants and bars and a few shops.

Around Lakewood, there is Lakewood Shopping Center. It has a few things, but kind of lacking in comparison the Lower Greenville.

Uptown would have more highrise action - sounds like you are trying to avoid that. There are some smaller places, but just a few compared to highrises.

You've probably found the dog park - on the north side of the lake, off Mockingbird Ln.

What is the exact "vibe" you are looking for?

KC
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Another young professional relocating

Pepper - Thanks for replying. The kinds of things you were talking about are exactly what I'm interested in. There just doesn't seem to be a neighborhood website that tells me what parks, grocery stores, banks, restaurants, fitness centers are in each hood. The vibe I am looking for is a neighborhood that feels like a neighborhood. Like I said, I've been to Dallas before and it was always in Irving, Las Colinas, Coppell. It is all too suburban. I dread the thought of rows of houses with no front porches, where everyone runs inside when they get home from work. I live in a downtown loft in KC right now. I'm not panicking about moving to Dallas because I am ok with having a little bit more space. Ideally I want to have a little bungalow with a small yard for the dog. But what I do want is the ability to be a part of my neighborhood. I'm not incredibly social and I'm not into partying, but I want to feel like I'm in a neighborhood where I can walk to a locally owned store or restaurant and not just the Applebees/Ruby Tuesday/Chili's of suburbia. I want to support urban living so I'm interested in hearing more about the areas I am interested in, or being pointed in the direction of a place I can research them more. I will be down in a few weeks to look around but I can't stand the thought of not learning more.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another young professional relocating

I live in Munger Place (Old East Dallas) and while I definitely live in my neighborhood, I don't walk anywhere except in my few blocks to visit neighbors. My neighbors walk their children and dogs, but I don't know any of them that walk to neighborhood businesses. I drive to Whole Foods, restaurants, the dry cleaners, etc.

Munger Place has some duplexes, nice apartments (Power Properties owns quite a few of these), and has some new townhome/condos under construction. Go to www.significanthomes.com and you can see and learn quite a lot about these neighborhoods. The site has photos of all the homes in Munger Place, Swiss Avenue, and other East Dallas neighborhoods.

I can't speak for other neighborhoods, but MPHD is a neighborhood where neighbors know neighbors. Most of these neighborhoods that you have identified have active neighborhood associations and are politically active.

If you really want to be in areas to be able to walk to things, then you want to be close to the nodes of McMillan/Mockingbird, Greenville/Belmont, Live Oak/Skillman, Abrams/Gaston, or Abrams/Mockingbird intersections.

McMillan/Mockingbird is close to Mockingbird station (art films at the Angelika, restaurants, clothing stores, Virgin Music, etc.), Kroger's, Whole Earth Provision Company (fabulous travel and camping equipment store), the best movie rental store in the city (Premiere video), the Pocket Sandwich Theater, and various other odds and ends. I drive over here frequently, it is 3 miles from my home.

Greenville/Belmont is close to Whole Foods, Blockbuster, and a slew of small restaurants and clubs.

Live Oak/Skillman is another node with lots of small shops, restaurants, and a few clubs (The Tipperary Inn is the most well known), but no grocery store.

Abrams/Gaston is the Lakewood node. Lots of shops, restaurants, and a Minyard's grocery.

Abrams/Mockingbird has four strip malls on the corners. There is a Tom Thumb, and Albertson's, lots of restaurants (but more quick type like Einstein's, ZaZu's than upscale), a Hallmark store, JoAnn's Fabrics, etc.

All of these are nice neighborhoods and all within about a 3 mile radius of each other. They are all within 15 minutes of White Rock Lake.

The three gyms/work out facilities in these ares that I am familiar with are the Tom Landry Center at Baylor Hospital, the YMCA at the end of Gaston by Garland Road (back corner of the lake), and the 24 Hour Fitness Center on Mockingbird. There is also a YMCA downtown that is about about 3 miles from Munger Place.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another young professional relocating

Everytime ChrystinP talks about her neighborhood, it makes me want to move there!

I don't know if this will help, but I found a websiste of homeowner associations in Dallas and there are links for Lakewood, one of the areas that fits your description.

neighborhoodlink.com/dallas/allneighs.html

Good Luck!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another young professional relocating

This is a local monthly free magazine about the area you are looking at - Lakewood/East Dallas. Hope it helps...

http://www.advocatemag.com/

KC
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Another young professional relocating

Thanks to everyone for all of the information. I am thinking that for about six months I am going to get an apartment to get acquainted with the city before settling into a neighborhood. My question is this: What is the traffic like going north on 75 in the morning and south in the evenings? Is this normal traffic flow or reverse commute? I'm thinking about an apartment in uptown near the Katy Trail for my last hurrah in semi-city living and my place of business is going to be up in the 9000 block of N. Central Expressway. Yahoo maps says it's about 5 miles, 8 minutes, but I know that doesn't include congestion. Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another young professional relocating

Going north on Central in the mornings and south in the evenings is against traffic and an easy commute normally. Note that if you had to cross the 635 intersection my answer would be different!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another young professional relocating

All I can add is that the Katy Trail is lovely...you will enjoy the area.