We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you know Dallas I need your help

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
If you know Dallas I need your help

I booked a short trip to Dallas based on an airfare sale, and now I need to make some decisions (this is not my first trip.) I have decided that the Art Museum will be my primary destination and other museums in the art area, but would also listen to a Plan B. I will arrive DFW and need to find a hotel and likely also need to rent a car, I don't like to drive on high speed expressways as I am a nervous driver. I would be happier if I cam get a hotel for under $100/night.

My Question: Whereabouts should I stay and how should I get there (ie non expressway route) and also get to the museum area? Your suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

I actually think you can do this trip without the added expense of a rental car, especially given your concerns about driving. The cost of a cab or Super Shuttle to a hotel will be less than car rental and possible cost of parking.

I would suggest checking out downtown or Uptown hotels on Priceline and/or Hotwire, even look at Expedia (sometimes they have great deals). You will have easy access to the DART light rail and the McKinney Avenue trolley that cirlces between the arts district and Uptown.

http://www.mata.org/

http://www.dart.org/

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

Taking a shuttle to your hotel sounds like a great idea! Plus, you would save about $20+/day on parking at the hotel. The only way to get into Dallas is on the highways...although, you could take Hwy 114 to Northwest Hwy, then go south on Preston Rd (it turns into Oaklawn) and then weave your way into downtown or the Arts District.

I like using hotwire.com. We always go for a 4 star or higher...unless the prices are crazy, but we've had good luck with it. Let us know your dates and we can see what's avail.

Dallas Museum of Art has some special nights - hopefully they will coincide with your dates - Late Night is 3rd Fri of month. Thurs night is open late. Nasher Sculpture Center usually has a night once/month. And the Crow is often overlooked but should not be. All three are right together. A hotel near here is the Fairmont and the Marriott City Center.

The McKinney Ave Trolley ends right behind the DMA so this opens up more hotel options for you. In Uptown, Crescent Court might have good rates. Plus there are two B&Bs in the State Thomas area (Bailey's uptown Inn and Guesthouse on Allen St).

Also look at the Palomar across from Mockingbird Station. You can take the Dart train from here to the Cityplace Station and transfer to the trolley.

Also looks here for more info: http://www.thedallasartsdistrict.org/

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

What are your exact travel dates? Since prices vary there may be sales prices on hotels that would be in a good location for your needs.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

If you do not find a downtown hotel within your rate structure, there are a number of hotels at the south end of the airport. The one I'd point out is a relatively new Candlewood Suites. It's in a professional business area and as such, there are a number of small restaurants (admittedly, mostly chains) within walking distance (or possibly hotel shuttle) - chinese food, Mexican, a small local tavern (all independent), 7-11, Starbucks, Jersey Mikes, etc. Certainly not a "destination", but just want to note the option.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55857-d676704-…

The hotel provides shuttle service to the Trinity Rail Express (TRE), service linking downtown Dallas/downtown Fort Worth. http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

There is also a Holiday Inn Express in the same area. If you look them up, make certain it's D/FW South - Ft Worth addr, not Irving addr.

(A few times, I've had the good luck of finding a lower rate by calling the hotel direct)

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

** Have you considered flying Southwest Airlines into Love Field which is only a few miles from downtown Dallas. No highways/freeways to negotiate.

Several years ago, I went through a period where I hated freeways and found every backroad around Dallas ever laid - and I think I blazed a few trails on my own. So I understand your reluctance in driving through unknown territory.

Personally, I'd depend on taxi/shuttle and rail, but if you prefer a car, you'd take an rental car shuttle to pick your car up - you'd be on the south side of the airport. From there, the agent could tell you how to take Airfield Dr around to the north side of the airport to Freeport Dr. Turn left onto Freeport (Shell Gas station) and then an immediate right onto the Hwy 114 eastbound service road. Take ramp onto 114 east for about a mile and exit Belt Line to traffic light. (114 is VERY a very low key highway)

Turn left (north) onto Belt Line and travel about a mile to Royal Lane (7-11 on left). Take right onto Royal and travel east for 7-10 miles until you reach Marsh Lane. Take a right onto Marsh Lane. Marsh Lane magically becomes Lemmon Ave as you cross over NorthWest Highway at Love Field. Continue on Lemmon to Turtle Creek Blvd. Take right on Turtle Creek.

After driving a few blocks, it will magically become Cedar Springs. Continue on Cedars Springs into downtown Dallas.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

I already have my ticket to DFW, and think staying on the rail line would be a good idea if I could find a hotel within walking distance. This is for next weekend and all the downtown specials have disappeared, the 90 dollar a night specials turning into about $200. Still looking for ideas. Hotels in the arts district seem to be either unavailable or $200+/night. I could stay on the rail line and travel by rail and still have a car for a nearby jaunt.

In short, your ideas are all helpful, and I am still looking for suggestions.

Does anyone know how close to the station Candlewood Suites is located?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

Since you mentioned the "weekend", because the TRE is primarily a commuter rail - THERE IS NO SERVICE ON SUNDAY. I'm sure that will be a deciding factor for you. It is not within walking distance of Candlewood, which is why I said the hotel has a shuttle.

Point of clarification - Candlewood Suites is in the CentrePort area at Hwys 360 and 183, located immediately south of D/FW airport. It is about 10-15 miles away from of downtown Dallas. Unless you drive it or take a cab, you would have to take the TRE into Downtown Dallas' Union Station. From there, you'd transfer to Dallas' DART (light rail) to ride to other parts of Dallas.

You didn't say how long you'd be here, but if you stay at Centreport, you could drive 15 min. north to Grapevine which offers a Main Street with unique shopping/wine tasting rooms/dining options. Don't know if you're interested in sports, but Arlington, 15 min. south, is home to the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers, each of which do tours of their stadium.

https:/…Default.aspx

I'm compelled to say that there is extensive highway renovation occurring in the Grapevine area, so you would want someone to provide you with information to drive there via detours - should you decide to include it in your itinerary, I'd be happy to do that if you post back.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 20:30
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

I think there is a cheer leading convention and/or competition next weekend. These big events definately jack up the prices around downtown.

I too have found that I can get a better deal by calling a hotel directly rather than using a hotel booking site. Although Hotwire is usually good.

There are two ecominical hotels - a La Quinta in the Knox-Henderson area and a Best Western just south of that. Problem is, it isn't on a Dart Rail line.

I wonder if a hotel in Richardson might have a better rate since they are mostly used for business during the weekdays. There's a Dart Rail stop called Gatalyn Park and there is a hotel or two there....maybe a Rennaissance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

You helpful Dallas people who have been kind enough to lend me a hand might or not be aware that trying to plan a leisure traveler trip to Dallas over the Internet is a nightmare, and I have planned many trips here and abroad. After deciding that cancelling my trip might be the wisest idea (a first for me), I stumbled upon Grapevine-by-the-airport. I am nearly decided to head there. They seem to be very interested in accommodating the tourist. While what they offer seems less exalted than downtown Dallas, it seems that a little pleasure jaunt for a couple of days of warm weather might turn out to be just that in Grapevine.

I must say that any tourism board member reading this might want to look at some anomalies that are very offputting to the potential tourist: airport public transportation that doesn't run on Sunday (and takes 2 buses to get to on the days that it does run); a shuttle service that from reviews could give you the best ride of your life or maybe not even show up; a road system where there is no direct route downtown for the freeway averse; a charming trollycar route that seems not connect to (at least not easily or obviously) other public transport, etc. And God forbid you try inputting the address of a hotel in the light rail travel planner: it will not recognize it or let you know if the station is within walking distance of a hotel.

Despite my troubles, thank you all very much for your help and suggestions, and I would love to know more about any views you have on Grapvine.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you know Dallas I need your help

There are others who have more experience with Grapevine...all I can offer is that Main Street Bakery is one of my fave places for breakfast - real butter croissants!!!