We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dallas to College Station

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Dallas to College Station

I am taking my two teenagers to Texas for a family trip in mid-March. I would like them to see as much of the bluebonnets and all when we are doing the driving legs of our trip and had a question. When traveling from Dallas to College Station, should we take 35 or 45 south for the best views/drive? Length-wise they appear the same.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

Regardless of wildflowers, I-45 is a much better highway. You will be a little too early for the best wildflower viewing but should see some.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

Predictions now say the best wildflower viewing will be mid-April, but you could get lucky.

Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

Ennis off of I 45 is awesome try the chamber of commerce they have the Bluebonnet festival and always have maps for the best routes for the bluebonnets.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 23:27
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

Thank you everyone! I wish we could come a little later, but spring break is when it is unfortunately. Will definitely take 45! Thank you!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

If you are interested in history, an alternate route that requires no more time goes right by Old Fort Parker north of Groesbeck. That is where Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped as a child by Indians in 1836. She ultimately became the wife of a Comanche chief and mother of Quanah Parker, the last Comanche warrior chief. She was "rescued" by Texas Rangers in 1860, but wasn't happy in Anglo society. The restored fort is well done and worth a stop.

Leave I45 at Richland onto Hwy 14, then to Hammond and College Station. The further South you go, the better chance you have of seeing early bluebonnets.

6. Re: Driving from Dallas to College Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:42