We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dallas for me?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is Dallas for me?

Hello, Me and the wife are looking to visit Dallas for a week next June. What im wanting to know is Dallas for us.

We would love to go to the Horseracing every day its on. We love going to good bars with Music on. A hotel in the right location for our needs so we dont have to travel to far all the time. with a swimming pool. Plus anymore info on other things whats worth visiting while were there. We would be flying into Fort Worth Airport.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dallas for me?

The horse track is called Lone Star Park. It's out in Grand Prairie and there is nothing out there, really. Not sure of the season, though. You might check that out before you make plans.

Otherwise, there is a Radisson along Central Expressway. It's a short walk to a street called Dyer (and SMU Blvd) where there are bars with live music. This area attracts a younger crowd. Not sure how nice the Radisson is these days, if that matters to you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Thank you Pepper for ypur response. Yes the racing is on then. Will maybe try and see a Baseball game too. Is transport easy to get out to the track.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Sadly, mass transit is dismal to Grand Prairie. Best way to get there is to rent a car or hire a taxi. It's really in the middle of nowhere.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Would i be better staying in Arlington. We would be at the races 4 days on the trot.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Arlington might be best...for a shorter cab ride. :-)

Poke around the forum a little. I think people like the Sheraton in Arlington.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Thanks for your help pepper

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Just some info that might help you in planning your trip.

The airport you'll be flying into is DFW, not Fort Worth, unless you're flying in a private jet.

Arlington, like Grand Prairie, has no mass transit.

The only mass transit between Dallas and Fort Worth is the TRE, which does NOT run on Sundays. www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

Normally, the motel/hotels in Arlington may have a shuttle to the DFW airport and/or will take you to places within 3 miles of the lodging.

Taxis can be expensive. If you're comfortable driving in the US a rental car is your best bet.

If you're going to use a taxi you might try to see if there's a driver that works that area a lot that might be willing to be available to you while you're here. If there is a taxi driver/service that's handy the hotel/motel should be able to direct you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Dallas for me?

If you are wanting to both go to the horse races and maybe a Rangers game, then I think you would be much happier someplace in Arlington, and then taking cabs. However there is no area I know of with lot's of clubs/live music as there is in Dallas.

As others have said, mass transit is seriously lacking in the DFW area as whole.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Pepper already mentioned the Sheraton in Arlington next door to the Ballpark- it has a great pool. Another place to consider is the Four Seasons in Las Colinas/Irving- more of a resort hotel with a pool. If a lively place with clubs and live entertainment is more important, check out Sundance Square/downtown Fort Worth.

http://www.sheratonarlingtonhotel.com/

http://www.fourseasons.com/dallas/

http://www.sundancesquare.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Dallas for me?

Thaks eno G. We have decided staying in Arlington and seen a hotel we think will be ok for us with a bar and club within. We agree the best thing to do is get taxis. Yes were hoping to get to see a ball game. We will get to Arlington on a Weds so racing thurs, fri, sat and sunday. Baseball monday or tues. Abit of sunbathing too.

Get answers to your questions about Dallas